Cannot get GQRX working with Mint and Ubuntu

Adam Ebel

May 30, 2015, 2:20:15 PM5/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com

 I remember getting it working the first time with Ubuntu before using 32 bit linux, and when I installed 64 bit linux Ubuntu, I am now getting this error just I did Mint 17.1   Why did they block the rtl-sdr from functioning on Ubuntu?     How do I fix this problem?

everytime I go to the terminal using Ubuntu 15.04  64 bit and type in "  "gqrx"  I get this problem here :

gccradioscience@gccradioscience-HP-Compaq-6000-Pro-SFF-PC:~$ gqrx
linux; GNU C++ version 4.9.1; Boost_105500; UHD_003.007.003-0-unknown

gr-osmosdr 0.1.3 (0.1.3) gnuradio 3.7.5
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy
Using Volk machine: sse4_1_64_orc
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
[...]
Using device #0 Generic RTL2832U OEM
usb_open error -3
Please fix the device permissions, e.g. by installing the udev rules file rtl-sdr.rules

FATAL: Failed to open rtlsdr device.

Trying to fill up 1 missing channel(s) with null source(s).
This is being done to prevent the application from crashing
due to gnuradio bug #528.

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::math::rounding_error> >'
  what():  Error in function boost::math::round<f>(f): Value -inf can not be represented in the target integer type.
Aborted (core dumped)
gccradioscience@gccradioscience-HP-Compaq-6000-Pro-SFF-PC:~$

Now, how do I fix this problem?   I also have the same problem as I did with Mint 17.1 Rebecca Mate.

Simon Kennedy

May 30, 2015, 2:41:13 PM5/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Adam,

follow the advice given in the error messages "Please fix the device permissions, e.g. by installing the udev rules file rtl-sdr.rules"

Search 'blacklist' in this group or 'blacklist rtl sdr' more generally for details on how to do this.

The rtl dongle works on Ubuntu but as a TV tuner, so you have to blacklist that driver before gqrx will be able to use it as an SDR.

Simon.

Alexandru Csete

May 30, 2015, 3:08:19 PM5/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 8:41 PM, Simon Kennedy <si...@thekennedys.info> wrote:

> The rtl dongle works on Ubuntu but as a TV tuner, so you have to blacklist
> that driver before gqrx will be able to use it as an SDR.

I think the situation has become much worse than that. Since linux
kernel 3.15 there is now a so-called "SDR API" in the kernel which
also blocks access to rtl-sdr devices.

Best is to build librtlsdr with detach kernel driver option ON. I'm
updating the PPA these days.

Alex

Simon Kennedy

May 30, 2015, 4:27:23 PM5/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
That sounds like a good reason to stick with Ubuntu 14.04 for some time!

steven jones

Jul 11, 2015, 10:32:24 AM7/11/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
yes it does. im somewhat leary of updating every time a new distro comes out, ill stick with lts 14.04
Message has been deleted

Buford T. Justice

Jul 20, 2015, 4:49:41 AM7/20/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Did you install it from the Ubuntu Software Center or by adding the ppa for it?