Since (X)ubuntu17.04 no FFT data...

Tomas vd Meer

May 11, 2017, 8:51:33 AM5/11/17
to Gqrx SDR
Hi all,

I like to use GQRX-sdr but since the upgrade to 17.04 (Ubuntu derivate) i can't use my RTL Dongle anymore...

I installed GQRX by using this guide:
http://gqrx.dk/download/install-ubuntu

I use the DX-Patrol mk2 (RTL Chip)

So far as  i know it isnt a know issue... I tried to reinstall GQRX and delte olders repository entries... Also i deleted some config files located in the /home/$user directory...

After a launch of GQRX it wil open up te GUI but i will see no action when i activate the RTL dongle...

Output from launching gqrx from the terminal:

Configuration file: "/home/tomas/.config/gqrx/default.conf"
gr-osmosdr v0.1.x-xxx-xunknown (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.10
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy soapy redpitaya
Using device #0 Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR SN: 00000001

Kernel driver is active, or device is claimed by second instance of librtlsdr.
In the first case, please either detach or blacklist the kernel module
(dvb_usb_rtl28xxu), or enable automatic detaching at compile time.

usb_claim_interface error -6

FATAL: Failed to open rtlsdr device.

So how can i blacklist the kernell in this case, or get the correct source my self? Or a other solution to solve the problem!

PC specs: Intel i5 > 16GBDDR3, 256 SSD, NVIDIA GTX 750 TI, triple monitor...

Thx in advance..

Dan Dart

May 11, 2017, 9:06:12 AM5/11/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Try removing the inbuilt module and trying again:
$ sudo rmmod dvb_usb_rtl28xxu

To make it permanent, add this to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-rtl-sdr,conf:

blacklist dvb_usb_rtl28xxu

Cheers

Tomas vd Meer

May 11, 2017, 9:09:56 AM5/11/17
to Gqrx SDR
this warning i got after i do a apt-get update...

W: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/ettusresearch/uhd/ubuntu zesty Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
E: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ettusresearch/uhd/ubuntu/dists/zesty/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Alexandru Csete

May 11, 2017, 4:33:58 PM5/11/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tomas,

You can see in the other response how to blacklist the driver;
however, I'd like to point out that for a long time the livrtlsdr
package in Ubuntu has been built using the "-DDETACH_KERNEL_DRIVER=ON"
option, which means that blacklisting the kernel driver is not
necessary.

Therefore, I'm worried that you have some wrong library installed. Did
you compile it yourself from source?

Alex