Raspberry PI3, GQRX, SoapySDR, SDRPLAY2, Bandwidth

Karl Brazier

Oct 24, 2017, 7:02:52 AM10/24/17
to Gqrx SDR

Hello
I have been scratching my head for a while with this.
I have a clean installation of Raspbian Stretch running on a Raspberry PI 3 with a SDRPlay RSP2
I have installed SoapySDR and SoapySDRPlay, and the GQRX 2.6binaries
As you can see from the attached image despite the bandwidth being set 1MHz it is only about 200Khz within the 1MHz bandwidth.
Do i need to add a command to the device string?
Best Regards
Karl
2017-10-24-103313_1440x900_scrot.png

Robin Gape

Oct 24, 2017, 1:09:22 PM10/24/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Karl,

all is as it should be. The hardware sample rate is set to 1MHz, and the RF bandwidth displayed on screen is 900kHz (0.9MHz) between the outermost graticule markers, thus 107.6MHz - 106.7MHz = 0.9MHz.

Presuming that the signal at 107.2MHz is an FM BC station, then the bandwidth may be set using the bandwidth control (narrow, normal, wide & user, used by dragging the edge of the grey rectangle) on the Receiver Options tab, as below:

GQRX screengrab showing FM
      bandwidth

Note that the widest that the user filter may be set to for BC FM seems to be 240kHz.

HTH,

Robin, G8DQX

Alexandru Csete

Oct 24, 2017, 1:48:30 PM10/24/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Try a different sample rate. I don't know if it is a characteristic of
the device or the backend is buggy, but I have seen this before with
certain sample rates.

Alex

Karl Brazier

Oct 31, 2017, 1:39:29 PM10/31/17
to Gqrx SDR
Hello
Sorry for the delay in responding

You were correct Alexandru

I experimented with different values for bandwidth. When you select 5.000MHz you can see the 2.0MHz bandwidth as set by the sample rate. If you selected a higher sample rate GQRX crashes. Lower sample rates with the 5.0000MHz bandwidth set work fine.

See attached screenshots
Karl
2017-10-31-165831_1440x900_scrot.png
2017-10-31-172413_1440x900_scrot.png