Expanding the band limits on the panadaptor display

Dave Horsfall

Jul 11, 2017, 10:18:45 PM7/11/17
to Gqrx SDR
Using GQRX 2.3.1 on Debian Jessie (the latest available, apparently, even though it's supposed to be 2.6).  Not use to using social media to get technical help, so let's see how it goes.

Is there a way to expand the band limits to show e.g. 144-148MHz, or 88-108MHz?  The best I can do it +/- 0;5MHz.  The dongle is a Realtek RTL2838, if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Dave VK2KFU

Simon Kennedy

Jul 12, 2017, 5:33:09 AM7/12/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

have you tried putting the mouse between the panadaptor and waterfall displays, on the frequency scale when the cursor changes to a 'hand' and using the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out of the frequency range?

Regards
Simon.

Alexander Fasching

Jul 12, 2017, 6:03:08 AM7/12/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
All RTL2838 based receivers that I have seen have a maximum sample rate
less than 3.2 MS/s. This will be the maximum bandwidth that you can display.
You can set the sample rate in the I/O Devices dialog. Not all receivers
work reliable with all sample rates, so you might have to try different
settings.
http://gqrx.dk/doc/practical-tricks-and-tips

Gqrx 2.3.1 is several years old, so I'd suggest you update the the
latest version first.
I'm not familiar if the Ubuntu packages work on Debian, so someone else
would have to comment on that. In the meantime, you can build it from
source, as described here:
https://github.com/csete/gqrx

Robin Gape

Jul 12, 2017, 8:21:32 PM7/12/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Dave,

the fundamental limit on the bandwidth that GQRX can display is set by the sample rate of the RF hardware. As others have pointed out, an RTL2838 has an absolute maximum sample rate of 3.2MHz, for a received bandwidth of ±1.6MHz from the centre, for a maximum bandwidth of 3.2MHz. Dongles such as the Funcube Dongle Pro have a much lower limit of 192kHz. Other hardware will allow a wider bandwidth, generally costing more! [Technical reasons will generally limit the useful bandwidth to 80%-90% of the Nyquist limit, which is the limit quoted above.]

There's a much longer version of this reply. Not knowing where you start this conversation from, I'd recommend your favourite search engine, looking for SDR (software defined radio) and DSP (digital signal processing). The wikipedia article on SDR doesn't explain how SDR works, but might be a good place to start.

HTH,

Robin, G8DQX