Gqrx 2.6 released

Alexandru Csete

Oct 6, 2016, 7:56:21 AM10/6/16
to gqrx
Greetings,

I am happy to announce that Gqrx 2.6 has now been released and ready
for download. As promised, this release includes experimental binaries
for the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3.

Thanks to everybody who contributed to making this release happen!

http://gqrx.dk/download

New features:

- 1-2-5 scaling on FFT axis.
- Audio waterfall.
- Remember AGC settings between sessions.
- Right-click on FFT resets frequency zoom.
- Separate dB ranges for pandapter and waterfall.
- Raw I/Q mode.
- Portaudio support.
- Command line option to set Qt style (fusion, windows, …)
- Binary packages for Raspberry Pi 2 and 3.

Bugs fixed:

- Stuttering audio with Pulseaudio backend.
- Use system font on FFT plot (too small font on high res displays).
- Broken FUNcube Dongle Pro+ support on Mac OS X 10.11.4.
- Correct display of negative offsets between -1 and 0 kHz.
- Reset frequency digits below the one that is being changed.
- LNB LO could not be set from I/O configuration dialog.
- Update squelch level when switching between demodulators.
- Set correct filter range when loading bookmark.
- White area on waterfall.
- RFSpace Cloud-IQ support on Mac OS X, RPI binaries and in PPA.

Miscellaneous improvements:

- Input decimator performance.
- SDRPlay integration through SoapySDR.
- Only probe for devices when the program is started.
- Allow user to enter ALSA device name.
- Set default audio FFT range to -70…0 dB.
- Restore audio FFT dB scaling between sessions.

The download page and the Ubuntu PPA have already been updated with
the new source packages and binaries for the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3. Mac
OS X users will have to wait a few more days for and App bundle.

As mentioned in the release notes, we have fixed RFSpace Cloud-IQ
support in gr-osmosdr and Gqrx can now work reliably with the
Cloud-IQ. The patches are integrated into the Raspberry Pi binaries
but not yet in the Ubuntu PPA. I anticipate a PPA update during next
week that will include both the RFSpace fixes and some Airpsy
improvements.

I hope you will enjoy this new version of Gqrx and stay tuned for
exciting new developments in the embedded single board computer area
in the foreseeable future.

Let us know what you think!

73
Alex OZ9AEC

geor...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2016, 9:20:14 AM10/6/16
to Gqrx SDR

Thank you so much for improving a product that gives me so much enjoyment.

The addition of the ARM based Raspberry PI 2 and 3 is an exciting new direction for Software defined radio enthusiasts.

I congratulate you on this excellent achievement and milestone.

George

fe8769

Oct 6, 2016, 9:44:40 AM10/6/16
to Gqrx SDR
Great

I did test this version . It is working fine . As now it supports IQ output . I have 2 questions :

- On windows SDR software, when outputting to IQ, sound is mutted allowed to listen to IQ result . Can we do the same with GQRX 2.6 ?

- Now that IQ is supported , how can we do to send IQ to telive TETRA decoder ? (using PACAT command line)

I did some tests no error but no result

I'm using this script

#!/bin/sh
export TETRA_HACK_PORT=7379
export TETRA_HACK_RXID=$1
ulimit -c unlimited
pacat --passthrough -v -d alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo |./osmo-tetra-sq5bpf/src/demod/python/simdemod2.py -o /dev/stdout | ./osmo-tetra-sq5bpf/src/float_to_bits /dev/stdin /dev/stdout | ./osmo-tetra-sq5bpf/src/tetra-rx /dev/stdin

Source code of telive :
https://github.com/sq5bpf/telive

That would be great because it could help us to monitor TETRA using Airspy or sdrplay correctly

Alexandru Csete

Oct 6, 2016, 3:11:51 PM10/6/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 3:44 PM, fe8769 <fe8...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great
>
> I did test this version . It is working fine . As now it supports IQ output
> . I have 2 questions :
>
> - On windows SDR software, when outputting to IQ, sound is mutted allowed to
> listen to IQ result . Can we do the same with GQRX 2.6 ?

Hi,

In gqrx raw I/Q is pretty much like stereo audio but without
demodulator. So, if you turn the volume down there will be no output.
I am considering adding an option for a secondary audio device that
would allow using one audio device for listening and another one as a
loopback device for piping to external apps.

> - Now that IQ is supported , how can we do to send IQ to telive TETRA
> decoder ? (using PACAT command line)
>
> I did some tests no error but no result
>
> I'm using this script
>
> #!/bin/sh
> export TETRA_HACK_PORT=7379
> export TETRA_HACK_RXID=$1
> ulimit -c unlimited
> pacat --passthrough -v -d alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo
> |./osmo-tetra-sq5bpf/src/demod/python/simdemod2.py -o /dev/stdout |
> ./osmo-tetra-sq5bpf/src/float_to_bits /dev/stdin /dev/stdout |
> ./osmo-tetra-sq5bpf/src/tetra-rx /dev/stdin

I don't know much about this so I can't help much right now, but you
can try recording the raw IQ to audio wav file and replay it in your
pipeline outside gqrx to see if the captured IQ is OK. I haven't
tested much so there could be some bug.

Alex

Robin Gape

Oct 6, 2016, 7:05:55 PM10/6/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com

With pulseaudio, there is an audio control, generally found on the desktop panel top right-hand side (may be elsewhere if you are not using the Unity desktop) in the form of the loudspeaker icon 🔊.

The lowest option on the control is labelled Sound Settings…

Within the Sound Settings panel is a tab labelled Applications. Using this tab, one can mute individual applications, such as GQRX.

However, you may find that JACK provides the flexibility of audio routing that you are looking for, but it will be a steep learning curve. [I have managed without using it in the past, but for applications such as fldigi JACK is quite attractive. YMMV]

HTH,

Robin, G8DQX

Alexandru Csete

Oct 9, 2016, 7:52:41 AM10/9/16
to gqrx
On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Alexandru Csete <oz9...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mac OS X users will have to wait a few more days for and App bundle.

Gqrx 2.6 binaries for Mac OS X are now available :-)

Github:
https://github.com/csete/gqrx/releases/tag/v2.6

Sourceforge:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gqrx/files/2.6/

Alex

Alexandru Csete

Oct 9, 2016, 4:15:18 PM10/9/16
to gqrx
On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Alexandru Csete <oz9...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As mentioned in the release notes, we have fixed RFSpace Cloud-IQ
> support in gr-osmosdr and Gqrx can now work reliably with the
> Cloud-IQ. The patches are integrated into the Raspberry Pi binaries
> but not yet in the Ubuntu PPA. I anticipate a PPA update during next
> week that will include both the RFSpace fixes and some Airpsy
> improvements.

The PPA has now been updated to include the patches.

Alex

Erik Jensen

Oct 9, 2016, 5:16:58 PM10/9/16
to Gqrx SDR

On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 4:52:41 AM UTC-7, Alexandru Csete wrote:

Gqrx 2.6 binaries for Mac OS X are now available :-)

Alex

I tried using Gqrx for the first time (new SDR) and the app crashes on launch (OS X Sierra). Can post more of the console log if that would help.
Application Specific Information:
abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type std::runtime_error: audio_osx_sink::setup

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib         0x00007fff8c2fcdda __pthread_kill + 10
1   libsystem_pthread.dylib       0x00007fff8c3e7797 pthread_kill + 90
2   libsystem_c.dylib             0x00007fff8c262440 abort + 129
3   libc++abi.dylib               0x00007fff8adc485a abort_message + 266
4   libc++abi.dylib               0x00007fff8ade9c37 default_terminate_handler() + 243
5   libobjc.A.dylib               0x00007fff8b8f2f33 _objc_terminate() + 124
6   libc++abi.dylib               0x00007fff8ade6d69 std::__terminate(void (*)()) + 8
7   libc++abi.dylib               0x00007fff8ade67de __cxa_throw + 121
8   libgnuradio-audio.3.7.10.1.dylib 0x000000010cbb86e4 gr::audio::osx_sink::setup() + 1060
9   libgnuradio-audio.3.7.10.1.dylib 0x000000010cbb77df gr::audio::osx_sink::osx_sink(int, std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> > const&, bool) + 575
10  libgnuradio-audio.3.7.10.1.dylib 0x000000010cbb74a9 gr::audio::osx_sink_fcn(int, std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> > const&, bool) + 57
11  libgnuradio-audio.3.7.10.1.dylib 0x000000010cb9489e gr::audio::sink::make(int, std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >, bool) + 1550
12  dk.gqrx.www                   0x000000010c319fd6 receiver::receiver(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >, std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits<char>, std::__1::allocator<char> >, unsigned int) + 3638
13  dk.gqrx.www                   0x000000010c307817 MainWindow::MainWindow(QString, bool, QWidget*) + 1175
14  dk.gqrx.www                   0x000000010c30246b main + 5147
15  libdyld.dylib                 0x00007fff8c1ce255 start + 1

Alexandru Csete

Oct 9, 2016, 5:37:29 PM10/9/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 11:16 PM, Erik Jensen <nesn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 4:52:41 AM UTC-7, Alexandru Csete wrote:
>>
>> Gqrx 2.6 binaries for Mac OS X are now available :-)
>>

> I tried using Gqrx for the first time (new SDR) and the app crashes on
> launch (OS X Sierra). Can post more of the console log if that would help.

Hi Erik,

I have built it on El Capitain and I guess it is not compatible with
the new version. You are welcome to post more info but I suspect I
will have to rebuild the whole toolchain for Sierra and I don't have
time for it right now, sorry.

Alex
Message has been deleted

chpa

Oct 11, 2016, 4:03:09 AM10/11/16
to Gqrx SDR
Alex Gqrx runs OK! on OS X Sierra!

The only issue I can find is a small issues with frezzing whaterfall when shifting mode and frequency fast, typical when using the scanning scrips.
I had the same issues with the 2.5.3 version on my Mac with El Captain and Sierra.
I don't belive that the whaterfall issue is coused by gqrx. Addressing a virtual audio interface made by "Rogue Amoeba Loopback" makes gqrx run very good, not perfect but very good. This Indicates to me that something happens in the Apple audio interfaces that is behind the waterfall problems i experience.
I have decreesed the FFT size from 8 something to 4 something and the rate so that I dont have any overlap. I dont remember as Im at my work now.

Sorry for my English.

/Christer

Erik Jensen

Oct 11, 2016, 12:55:06 PM10/11/16
to Gqrx SDR

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 1:03:09 AM UTC-7, chpa wrote:
Alex Gqrx runs OK! on OS X Sierra!

The only issue I can find is a small issues with frezzing whaterfall when shifting mode and frequency fast, typical when using the scanning scrips.
I had the same issues with the 2.5.3 version on my Mac with El Captain and Sierra.
I don't belive that the whaterfall issue is coused by gqrx. Addressing a virtual audio interface made by "Rogue Amoeba Loopback" makes gqrx run very good, not perfect but very good. This Indicates to me that something happens in the Apple audio interfaces that is behind the waterfall problems i experience.
I have decreesed the FFT size from 8 something to 4 something and the rate so that I dont have any overlap. I dont remember as Im at my work now.

Sorry for my English.

/Christer

Yes it seems to work fine on my MacBook Pro. The crash I had is on my Hackintosh- not clear if that's why (never had an issue with other apps). I will try to investigate it more.
Thanks,
Erik.

Alexandru Csete

Oct 11, 2016, 4:41:52 PM10/11/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 6:55 PM, Erik Jensen <nesn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes it seems to work fine on my MacBook Pro. The crash I had is on my
> Hackintosh- not clear if that's why (never had an issue with other apps). I
> will try to investigate it more.

Whether that's the reason I can't tell, but you should definitely
include that info in future problem reports as it is is a significant
deviation from a "standard mac" setup ;-)

Alex

roger.bo...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2016, 8:46:11 AM10/28/16
to Gqrx SDR
Bonjour,
J'ai installé sur mon raspberry pi3 model b la version Gqrx 2.6 .
J'utilise le Funcube pro plus  et je constate que lors d'écoute sur le 14.122Mhz je dois utiliser le mode LSB pour pour que cela soit   compréhensible .
Je pense que le mode USB serait plus logique ?
Cordialement.
F1HCN

Robin Gape

Oct 28, 2016, 10:45:22 AM10/28/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com

1) is Swap I/Q selected? (Would give this effect)?

2) Is there the same problem on an x86 PC or laptop? (To check the FCDPP)

3) Is there the same problem on other frequencies—does 40m have USB signals rather than LSB, for example?

4) Does the passband tune backwards? (may be easiest to see with another RX, or on MW/MO)

5) Sometimes the IQ balance gets confused, overcompensates, and swaps I&Q. Try deselecting IQ balance. If that cures the problem, then IQ balance may safely be selected again. This problem seems to occur when there are only a few weak signals in the FDCPP passband. (In my case, the local 1296MHz beacon.)

HTH, 73

Robin, G8DQX

Richard Ferryman

Oct 29, 2016, 6:04:24 AM10/29/16
to Gqrx SDR
Thank you!  At last I have the ability to use the Funcube Pro+ on a Raspberry Pi 2.
Now I have a good reason to buy a RPi 3.  Install was straight forward even for my old brain and it runs surprisingly well.  I feel like I have received an early Chritmas present :-)
Dick G4BBH

Alexandru Csete

Oct 29, 2016, 2:09:44 PM10/29/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback Dick!
I did get some help with testing before the release so I could try a
few iterations of packaging and installation notes :)

Alex
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gqrx/d464dac9-3ea1-44a6-859c-114b45af179c%40googlegroups.com.

Message has been deleted

Stack Programer

Nov 1, 2016, 5:32:31 AM11/1/16
to Gqrx SDR
thanks very much, Gqrx on raspberry pi3 works nice,i had a question about source for raspberry pi3?
i want to build source on raspberry pi 3 myself. older source on github can be built for raspberry pi3??
best regards stackprogramer

Gilles Gravier

Dec 2, 2016, 3:18:43 PM12/2/16
to Gqrx SDR
So the Ubuntu PPAs don't (today) fully support yakkety... This means it can't be installed on Ubuntu 16.10...

And the version on the official Ubuntu repository version (2.5.3) is broken on Ubuntu 16.10 (libgnuradio-blocks segfaults)...

So kind of a bummer. :(

Gilles

Alexandru Csete

Dec 2, 2016, 4:48:15 PM12/2/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 9:18 PM, Gilles Gravier <gil...@gravier.org> wrote:
> So the Ubuntu PPAs don't (today) fully support yakkety... This means it
> can't be installed on Ubuntu 16.10...
>
> And the version on the official Ubuntu repository version (2.5.3) is broken
> on Ubuntu 16.10 (libgnuradio-blocks segfaults)...
>
> So kind of a bummer. :(

Hi Gilles,

Please see the other threads regarding the problems on 16.10.

The crash occurs in a library so there is nothing to fix in gqrx and
it wouldn't help to have 2.6 in a PPA - it would still crash. We are
trying to come up with a workaround and then we will update the PPAs
to provide the working versions, so please be patient.

Alex

Steve otoole

Dec 13, 2016, 3:20:00 PM12/13/16
to Gqrx SDR
Where on paypal do we send the beer money ??
Thanks for all the hard work.

Robin Gape

Dec 13, 2016, 5:58:29 PM12/13/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Steve,

to save Alex any embarrassment, try this link:
http://gqrx.dk/contribute-to-gqrx

Robin, G8DQX

David Hatch

Dec 27, 2016, 4:43:42 PM12/27/16
to Gqrx SDR

David Hatch

Dec 27, 2016, 4:45:23 PM12/27/16
to Gqrx SDR

Alexandru Csete

Dec 27, 2016, 6:03:46 PM12/27/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

There are a few libraries you have to install before you can run gqrx
on the Raspberry Pi. Please read the included readme file or the
instructions on the download page:
http://gqrx.dk/download/gqrx-sdr-for-the-raspberry-pi

Alex