Fail to run Ubuntu 14.04

Ron Gregory

Sep 15, 2014, 7:59:48 PM9/15/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I loaded the download without difficulty. Started terminal and entered gqrx. The run failed with the following transcript.

~>>  gqrx
linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.2; Boost_105400; UHD_003.005.005-0-unknown

gr-osmosdr 0.1.1 (0.1.1) gnuradio 3.7.2.1
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf rfspace
Using Volk machine: ssse3_32_orc
gr-osmosdr 0.1.1 (0.1.1) gnuradio 3.7.2.1
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf rfspace
Using device #0 Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR SN: 00000001

Kernel driver is active, or device is claimed by second instance of librtlsdr.
In the first case, please either detach or blacklist the kernel module
(dvb_usb_rtl28xxu), or enable automatic detaching at compile time.

usb_claim_interface error -6

FATAL: Failed to open rtlsdr device.

Trying to fill up 1 missing channel(s) with null source(s).
This is being done to prevent the application from crashing
due to gnuradio bug #528.

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::math::rounding_error> >'
  what():  Error in function boost::math::round<f>(f): Value -inf can not be represented in the target integer type.
Aborted (core dumped)
~>>
This rather cryptic error log seems to say that a conflict exists ("Kernel driver is active, or device is claimed by second instance of librtlsdr.") but I don't understand what it means.

The dongle was connected and showed a blue power light. The dongle is marked DVB -T+DAB+FM and was purchased from Hak5. The download was from http://gqrx.dk/download and I used the Gqrx for Ubuntu Linux option. I assume it is a complete package and nothing else is needed. The instructions mention a readme file to be consulted, but none was found in the directory created by the install. Computer is an Acer1 Netbook running Ubuntu 14.04 from a recent new install.

 Although I have a good computer and ham radio background, this is all very cryptic to me.

Any advice or guidance appreciated.
Ron, N1AHH

Super Gatti

Sep 16, 2014, 2:25:40 AM9/16/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
if you installed rtl_sdr from sources do it again but:

cmake ../ -DINSTALL_UDEV_RULES=ON

then

ldconfig

and reboot

Alexandru Csete

Sep 16, 2014, 4:52:49 AM9/16/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 1:59 AM, Ron Gregory <n1ah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I loaded the download without difficulty. Started terminal and entered gqrx.
> The run failed with the following transcript.
>
> ~>> gqrx
> linux; GNU C++ version 4.8.2; Boost_105400; UHD_003.005.005-0-unknown
>
> gr-osmosdr 0.1.1 (0.1.1) gnuradio 3.7.2.1
> built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf
> rfspace
> Using Volk machine: ssse3_32_orc
> gr-osmosdr 0.1.1 (0.1.1) gnuradio 3.7.2.1
> built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd hackrf bladerf
> rfspace
> Using device #0 Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR SN: 00000001
>
> Kernel driver is active, or device is claimed by second instance of
> librtlsdr.
> In the first case, please either detach or blacklist the kernel module
> (dvb_usb_rtl28xxu), or enable automatic detaching at compile time.

The problem is that the kernel loads the TV driver when the device is
inserted preventing the SDr driver from using the device. The TV
driver can be blacklisted by creating a config file. Try these
instructions

Open a terminal and type:

cd /etc/modprobe.d
sudo nano no-rtl.conf

Add the following lines to the new file:

blacklist dvb_usb_rtl28xxu
blacklist rtl2832
blacklist rtl2830

Save and exit using CTRL+X then reboot the computer.

Re-attach the rtl device and it should now work.

Alex

Ron

Sep 16, 2014, 10:29:12 AM9/16/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the guidance. I am travelling at the moment and will try the
suggestions first chance I get.
Thanks again.
Ron, N1AHH

Kelevra Bluepaw

Sep 24, 2014, 11:50:23 PM9/24/14
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the steps provided, I was having the exact same issue.
Up and running now,

Adam Ebel

May 30, 2015, 2:59:13 PM5/30/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Alexander,   You solved the problem.   Well done.   I know now that I have to use the terminal to fix the problem everytime I install the new operating system.  Thank you so much!

Adam Ebel
Virginia Beach, Virginia

:)