2 Antennas into a single port.

David Dyess II

Aug 12, 2016, 3:27:39 AM8/12/16
to Gqrx SDR

Is it possible to use two antennas on one port? I am using a RTL2832u R820t2 TXCO Dongle. For instance! A FM antenna and a  weather antenna or maybe a AM antenna  going into the dongle at the same time.
Thanks!!

Robin Gape

Aug 12, 2016, 8:08:37 AM8/12/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Entirely possible! The classic approach is to use a switch or a diplexer.

There's a good article on build-your-own diplexer here: http://www.ka6wke.net/finished-projects/hf-vhf-diplexer

An alternative approach is to use a wideband antenna. There are many types of these, the classic would be a discone (omnidirectional) or a log periodic array (directional). Both are available commercially, or you can build your own! [Your favourite search engine is your friend!]

Not being aware of your constructional skills, then for an antenna switch the search engine is your friend again! But beware, most commercial switches will not have SMA connectors, which is what your dongle seems to have according to pics on the web. (Also beware of RP-SMA cables &c.)

HTH, 73,

Robin, G8DQX

On 12/08/16 08:27, David Dyess II wrote:

Is it possible to use two antennas on one port? I am using a RTL2832u R820t2 TXCO Dongle. For instance! A FM antenna and a  weather antenna or maybe a AM antenna  going into the dongle at the same time.
Thanks!!

David Dyess

Aug 14, 2016, 5:09:47 AM8/14/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Robin thanks for the reply!
I have moderate mechanic skills I don't think that I posses the technical skills but I am contemplating this. But first I need to understand what signals that I have coming in through this antenna.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHHOZBI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't understand the frequency reader for instance a station SL100 has the frequency of 73.303 000 mhz. that I don't understand.
After I get this sorted out and understand what frequencies that I posses and add other antenna's to this. like a weather antenna. It will only be RX
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Gqrx SDR" group.