GQRX Fails to Start

Steve Netting

May 18, 2016, 12:19:30 PM5/18/16
to Gqrx SDR

Hi All,

I was playing with GQRX using an RTL-based SDR(X).  All was working well until the SDR(X) became accidentally disconnected whilst in use (USB cable fell out!).

Ever since this time, GQRX fails to start.  I've removed the .config/gqrx/default.conf file and even upgraded to the very latest gqrx (using the repos listed on the gqrx site).

On start, the following is now logged:-

linux; GNU C++ version 5.2.1 20151010; Boost_105800; UHD_003.009.004-release

Controlport disabled
No user supplied config file. Using "default.conf"
gr-osmosdr v0.1.x-xxx-xunknown (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.9
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy soapy redpitaya
Using Volk machine: sse4_a_64_orc
FM demod gain: 1.52789
IQ DCR alpha: 1.04166e-05
Using audio backend: auto
New filter offset: 0 Hz
BookmarksFile is /home/steve/.config/gqrx/bookmarks.csv
Configuration file: "/home/steve/.config/gqrx/default.conf"
No change in output device:
  old:
  new:
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Requested bandwidth: 0 Hz
Actual bandwidth   : 0 Hz
setFreqCorr : 0 ppm
New LNB LO: 0 Hz
updateHWFrequencyRange failed fetching new hardware frequency range
New mode index: 0
Filter preset for mode 0 LO: 0 HI: 0
setFftRate to "25 fps"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
setFftSize to "8192"
New FFT rate: 25 Hz
Launching I/O device editor
firstTimeConfig
CIoConfig : Available input devices:
    0 : "RFSPACE SDR-IQ Receiver"
    1 : "RFSPACE SDR-IP Receiver"
    2 : "RFSPACE NetSDR Receiver"
    3 : "RFSPACE Cloud-IQ Receiver"
    4 : "RTL-SDR Spectrum Server"
    5 : "Red Pitaya Transceiver Server"
    6 : "Complex Sampled (IQ) File"
CIoConfig : Available output devices:
    0 : "Built-in Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958)"
    1 : "ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller (M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496) Analogue Stereo"

*** The GUI config window then appears, I select Device: RTL-SDR Spectrum Server ***

New input device selected: 4
  Label: "RTL-SDR Spectrum Server"
  Devstr: "rtl_tcp=localhost:1234"

*** then the following, but no GUI window ever appears ***

saveConfig
Configuration file: "/home/steve/.config/gqrx/default.conf"
gr-osmosdr v0.1.x-xxx-xunknown (0.1.5git) gnuradio 3.7.9
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy soapy redpitaya

No crash, no error, just no window either.

Any ideas?

The RTL / SDR(X) device itself does seem to still work as I can add it as a source in GnuRadio and plot a waterfall.

Steve M0SPN

Alexandru Csete

May 18, 2016, 2:36:32 PM5/18/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
RTLSDR is not listed under "Available input devices" so the driver can
not see it. The "rtlsdr spectrum server" is somerthing else - it
requires that you start rtl_tcp yourself.

I find it very, very strange that you can use your device in gnuradio,
but gqrx can not see it. I have no explanation for that. Something
perhaps is blocking access to the device?

Does rtl_test work?

Alex

Steve Netting

May 19, 2016, 9:46:20 AM5/19/16
to Gqrx SDR

Thanks Alex.  Oddly enough, today, the 'Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR' device appeared again in the GQRX list.
I had rebooted several times yesterday in addition to disconnecting/reconnecting the RTL from the USB bus.

Still, it's now working - thanks!

On a different subject, are there any plans to add TX support?

Thanks again,

Steve M0SPN

Alexandru Csete

May 19, 2016, 1:17:50 PM5/19/16
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Steve Netting <steve....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On a different subject, are there any plans to add TX support?

Not in gqrx, but I am working on another SDR application that will support TX.

Alex