Chinese crystals and inductorless mixers = poor results?

them...@btinternet.com

Jul 17, 2017, 5:50:07 AM7/17/17
to Gqrx SDR
Greetings all.

Just getting some bits together to carve an experimental up-converter from out of a virgin copper board. Have ordered a couple of crystals (100 and 125 MHz) and also an NE602 mixer IC.

I was wondering if anyone might care to comment on my choice of source of crystals and the mixer (as opposed to a diode ring double balanced mixer).

I also have a technical point concerning the crystals but that can wait.

Regards and 73 to all.

Simon Kennedy

Jul 17, 2017, 9:27:12 AM7/17/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I built something similar, using a 64MHz crystal salvaged from an old ADSL router. It worked well, when it worked, but I did have a small coil as an inductor and getting the correct amount of inductance was challenging.

Regards
Simon.

Tom Campbell

Jul 18, 2017, 12:07:41 PM7/18/17
to Gqrx SDR

Hi Simon, thanks for the input.

I too considered using a crystal from an old router: a 64 MHz rock from an "O2 Wireless box II" which is actually a Thomson product.

I am currently investigating the ferrite inductors they used to isolate the DSL phone connector

Your idea interests me: when you say "small inductor" where in the circuit was it used? In the oscillator section?

Regards and 73.

Tom

Simon Kennedy

Jul 18, 2017, 4:36:36 PM7/18/17
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

I got the idea from the website of YO2LDK: link

If you scroll down the page ignoring the awful graphics and Flash components you get to an entry entitled "Up -Converter NE602, pentru SDR dongle RTL2832 - FunCube", below this there is a circuit diagram to click on which is self-explanatory. I left out the BFR91 pre-amp section.

You have piqued my interest again because I am sure that this little circuit gave better up-convert performance than my NooElec up-converter. I'll add  rebuilding it to the list of projects.

73 Simon.

juan

Jul 29, 2017, 2:05:53 AM7/29/17
to Gqrx SDR

saludos soy nuevo en esto quien me dice unos tutiriales para poder  aprender a usar esta herramienta

Tom Campbell

Jul 30, 2017, 11:52:00 AM7/30/17
to Gqrx SDR

Hi Simon, apologies for delay in responding to you, I have had some 'technical difficulties' with BT Broadband, but all is well now.

Yes I have seen the circuit to which you refer. It uses a crystal - not a crystal osc pack,  which I suspect would give a cleaner output to the mixer.

I have now got 100MHz and 125 MHz crystal osc packs, and a 64MHz crystal. Don't know if its a side-tone or fundamental frequency - not that it matters. I intend to begin experiments some time this week.

Its been many years since I played with rf circuits - got diverted into computers in the mid 70's. So I was right gob-smacked when I went to order some small value silvered mica capacitors (I always used them
in rf frequency sensitive circuits): 12pf ...... £1:20p, postage extra. How much money must I have thrown-given away over the years?

So I have ordered ceramic disc caps instead. Needing them that day, I called into Maplin, having seen they stock all the values I required, and asked the young lad at the counter to get me the caps on my list:
values and Maplin codes provided. He looked on his terminal and told me they only stock one component of each value (3pf, 1pf, 12pf, ....), I said but I need at least two of each part, the reply I got was that they
could order them from head office, and it would take two days or so.

I of course went straight on Ebay, and ordered lots of values in packs of ten each.

So, when my caps arrive, I'll stick a chip onto some plain copper, and try out the circuit.

Cheers and 73 to you.

Tom Campbell

Jul 30, 2017, 11:56:41 AM7/30/17
to Gqrx SDR
Hola Juan

Es posible que encuentres alguna información para ayudarte en YouTube.

La mejor de las suertes.