gqrx_scan: help needed

William Oakley

Apr 20, 2018, 4:03:42 PM4/20/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Y'all,
Has anyone successfully (and recently) downloaded/installed/run 'gqrx_scan' (https://github.com/mhassell/gqrx_scan) on their Raspberry Pi 3 (model B)? If so, would you mind giving me some pointers or sharing your steps with me? I keep running into the same errors/problems (see below) and I'm not quite sure if the problems are due to things on my end or there are issues with the 'gqrx_scan' module/program.

> I've been able to download and unzip the master zip file from https://github.com/mhassell/gqrx_scan
> However, I'm not entirely sure what to do after this.
   I assumed I needed to open and run 'gqrx_scan.py' in my Python IDE (i.e. Thonny). I tried this but got syntaxerrors related to parentheses around the 'print' command (which I fixed) and "inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation" (which I have not been able to fix).

> Using the "terminal approach", (i.e. cloning to the github page and downloading the correct files), I was able to download the necessary files into a directory called "gqrx_scan" which contained the 3 necessary files. However, I was unable to successfully run 'gqrx_scan.py' from the Raspberry Pi's terminal. (see attached jpgs for the code and errors)

Any help on installing and running 'gqrx_scan' on a Raspberry Pi3 would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I've left out important and relevant information on my end, and for that I apologize. But I will happily provide it upon request.

Lastly, thank you to Alex and everyone else who contributes to making Gqrx free, open-source, and fun.

Best Regards,
William Oakley
PhD Biology candidate
Eli Bridge Lab
University of Oklahoma

William Oakley

Apr 20, 2018, 4:04:56 PM4/20/18
to Gqrx SDR
Sorry, I forgot to include the jpgs. Here they are.

Simon Kennedy

Apr 20, 2018, 4:38:25 PM4/20/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi William,

The issue with the print commands sounds like you are running using the Python2 interpretor on a program written in Python3 (maybe the other way round, I can't remember).

The error saying 'connection refused' tells me that you need to turn on the TCP interface in gqrx. It's one of the large buttons at the top of the gqrx window.

HTH
Simon.

William Oakley

Apr 20, 2018, 5:06:05 PM4/20/18
to Gqrx SDR
Hi Simon,

Thank you so much for your message and the helpful tips.
1. I'll try messing around more with the different types of Python interpreters.
2. Ah. I see. I'll be sure to turn on the TCP interface in gqrx before retrying.

Hopefully, I can figure out (and fix) the Python-related errors.

I'm also still a little confused about how I'm supposed to know when the 'gqrx_scan' module/function is working properly?

If possible, I'd love to see a short video or series of screen-shots of someone finalizing the import and running of "gqrx_scan".
(If I can get it to work, I'll be sure to post something to youtube.com as soon as possible).

Thanks again, Simon.

Respectfully,
William (a bird biologist)

Simon Kennedy

Apr 20, 2018, 6:17:16 PM4/20/18
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi William,

The Readme file on GitHub for that software is quite good. I suspect it will answer the questions you have.

Simon.