rtlsdr_read_async returned with -5 problem's

Giorgio

Jan 31, 2015, 9:09:55 AM1/31/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody , i have an rts sdr dongle , with R820T.
I have installed GQRX from source code in debian stable (wheezy) , i used backports repo for install it, becase official wheezy repo doesn't exist.

Everything was ok, since i launched "gqrx"

After the opening of gqrx i click the "power button" in left of the screen, after that ,close gqrx , with this error:

-$ gqrx
linux
; GNU C++ version 4.7.2; Boost_104900; UHD_003.007.002-0-unknown

gr
-osmosdr 0.1.3 (0.1.3) gnuradio 3.7.5
built
-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy
Using Volk machine: ssse3_64_orc
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
gr
-osmosdr 0.1.3 (0.1.3) gnuradio 3.7.5
built
-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy
Using device #0 Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR SN: 00000001
Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Exact sample rate is: 1500000,014901 Hz
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
Could not resolve property : pattern10600
rtlsdr_read_async returned
with -5

Can you help me to solve this problem ?

PS. sorry for my wrong english

Alexandru Csete

Jan 31, 2015, 10:40:56 AM1/31/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 3:09 PM, Giorgio <carcano...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody , i have an rts sdr dongle , with R820T.
> I have installed GQRX from source code in debian stable (wheezy) , i used
> backports repo for install it, becase official wheezy repo doesn't exist.
>
> Everything was ok, since i launched "gqrx"
>
> After the opening of gqrx i click the "power button" in left of the screen,
> after that ,close gqrx , with this error:

> rtlsdr_read_async returned with -5

Many people have had this error. As far as I remember everybody could
resolve it by upgrading their libusb to a later version (assuming
theat the other packages are already at their latest version).

Alex

Giorgio Carcano

Jan 31, 2015, 12:27:45 PM1/31/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex , thanks for your help.
I done ... but it doesn't still work
I have upgrade all libs but after one minute more or less the program return with the error:  "rtlsdr_read_async returned with -99"

this time the program was be opened more time than before, and this is good , and the error is different "-99"

Alexandru Csete

Jan 31, 2015, 1:24:44 PM1/31/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 6:27 PM, Giorgio Carcano
<carcano...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alex , thanks for your help.
> I done ... but it doesn't still work
> I have upgrade all libs but after one minute more or less the program return
> with the error: "rtlsdr_read_async returned with -99"
>
> this time the program was be opened more time than before, and this is good
> , and the error is different "-99"

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately I have no idea what that error
means. It seems to come from libusb and translates to
"LIBUSB_ERROR_OTHER".
I have no cure besides the usual things to try (another computer,
another software, another device)

Alex

Giorgio

Feb 4, 2015, 12:29:29 PM2/4/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Now works !!!

I have update wheezy to jessie , then i could update libusb to last version , and now everything works

Nobs Wolf

Feb 9, 2015, 1:15:36 AM2/9/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Am Mittwoch, 4. Februar 2015 18:29:29 UTC+1 schrieb Giorgio:
Now works !!!

I have update wheezy to jessie , then i could update libusb to last version , and now everything works

It's good to hear that there is a solution. But I'd say it would be a good thing to find the real reason. As other software runs nicely on Debian 7's USB-system this can't be the root cause.

I have the same problem with gqrx and I can not switch my Debian release for the moment. But I have some experience in coding. If someone can give me a short intro to the code where to look I can debug it.

The git-sources of rtl-sdr, gnuradio and gqrx are already installed here. And my hardware is a Noxon DAB-USB-stick.

Giorgio

Feb 9, 2015, 2:57:54 AM2/9/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
Hi , I think that the problem is the old version of libusb as Alex has previously said.
Thinking ... I have downloaded from Debian's backports only gqrx package , but the version of libusb in wheezy is old than the version in Debian testing, so I think that the problem is that you must download also libusb from backports .

Try and let me know

Christopher Hallinan

Feb 9, 2015, 8:29:05 AM2/9/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
I am having a similar problem, getting rtlsdr_read_async returned with -5 error soon after starting DSP. I see my spectrum display come alive, showing a signal, and then afteer just a couple seconds, it crashes sometimes with the read async error, sometimes with this error:

rtlsdr_read_async returned with -5
gqrx: ../nptl/pthread_mutex_lock.c:80: __pthread_mutex_lock: Assertion `mutex->__data.__owner == 0' failed.

Am I to understand from this thread that the read async issue is actually coming from libusb and not from anything related to gqrx?  What about the pthread issue?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Giorgio

Feb 9, 2015, 8:47:22 AM2/9/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com

Il giorno lunedì 9 febbraio 2015 14:29:05 UTC+1, Christopher Hallinan ha scritto:
I am having a similar problem, getting rtlsdr_read_async returned with -5 error soon after starting DSP. I see my spectrum display come alive, showing a signal, and then afteer just a couple seconds, it crashes sometimes with the read async error, sometimes with this error:

rtlsdr_read_async returned with -5
gqrx: ../nptl/pthread_mutex_lock.c:80: __pthread_mutex_lock: Assertion `mutex->__data.__owner == 0' failed.

Am I to understand from this thread that the read async issue is actually coming from libusb and not from anything related to gqrx?  What about the pthread issue?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Yes , is the same problem -99 or -5 is always the same
The problem should be only of libusb that is exploited from gqrx

Alexandru Csete

Feb 9, 2015, 9:04:01 AM2/9/15
to gq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Christopher Hallinan
<chal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having a similar problem, getting rtlsdr_read_async returned with -5
> error soon after starting DSP. I see my spectrum display come alive, showing
> a signal, and then afteer just a couple seconds, it crashes sometimes with
> the read async error, sometimes with this error:
>
> rtlsdr_read_async returned with -5
> gqrx: ../nptl/pthread_mutex_lock.c:80: __pthread_mutex_lock: Assertion
> `mutex->__data.__owner == 0' failed.
>
> Am I to understand from this thread that the read async issue is actually
> coming from libusb and not from anything related to gqrx? What about the
> pthread issue?

It depends on how you see it. Gqrx is really nothing more than just a
graphical user interface built on top of gnuradio, gr-osmosdr,
rtl-sdr, etc. So in most cases you will be able to reproduce the same
issues without using gqrx.

In this case the same issues should appear when using rtl_test, rtl_fm
or rtl_sdr applications. Ot a test graph created in
gnuradio-companion.

Alex