Anyone run a virtual environment in Windows 7 (local machine) to run Linux and the install GOTS?

askwy...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2015, 9:52:49 AM4/3/15
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com, mill...@hollins.edu
My campus IT would prefer I figure out the configs for GOTS on my local machine (running Windows 7) and then once I have it sorted, I share it with them AND then they'll create a web server. The only way for me to do this is run virtualization software or a virtual machine on my Windows 7 machine.

I'm trying to positively reframe this as an educational opportunity.

So, I have my work cut out for me. I was going to try using VirtualBox.

Has anyone been in a situation like mine where you have to use virtualization software to run Linux and then install GOTS?

Thanks,
James Miller
IT Librarian
Hollins University

William Simpson

Apr 3, 2015, 12:13:38 PM4/3/15
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com, mill...@hollins.edu
Hi James,

I haven't done this for GotS, but I have done it in the past for other web applications.  I think it should work fine.  I would recommend installing Ubuntu Server in VirtualBox (unless you have another preference or requirement), configuring SSH, setting up port forwarding, and then using PuTTY to connect.  Once that's set up, you should be able to install the LAMP package and then you can forward an unused port on your host (e.g. 8080) to port 80 on your guest machine.  From there you should be able to follow the installation instructions on the Github page.

Please let us know if you have any questions or run in to any issues!

Thanks,
-Will

askwy...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2015, 1:08:21 PM4/15/15
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com, mill...@hollins.edu
Thanks so much Will. I appreciate the links. I'm taking baby steps. I'm on configuring SSH and Port Forwarding. It looks like these are suggestions for added security. My endgame is just having Campus IT look at my work, so I don't want to impede their ability to view my work. Do I need to configure these two things for GOTS to work?

Also is Putty going to be installed on my virtual UBUNTU (running from Virtual Box)? OR is it something I install on Windows 7? How does Putty connect to Ubuntu?

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully this thread will help people in my situation.

Mike Hagedon

Apr 21, 2015, 4:50:20 PM4/21/15
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com, mill...@hollins.edu
Hi James,
I haven't done this particular thing, either, but SSH is definitely needed to work on your Ubuntu virtual machine. Port forwarding I can't speak to for this case, but it looks to be one way of using SSH.

Putty will be installed on Windows. You then use it to connect to your Ubuntu virtual machine using the SSH protocol. Lots of moving pieces if you're just getting started. :-)

Mike