Error: [SocketException] Invalid email: ""

arin...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2014, 6:53:35 PM10/23/14
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi. This is my first post, and I'm sorry that it must be a request for help. We've had no issues at all with the guide on the side install we're using at www.lib.siu.edu - it's been very useful.  But, this may be the first time we've tried to use an email feature. In any case, nothing happens in the browser (or the recipient's inbox) when the user completes a certificate-generating quiz and enters their contact info and presses the Print/Send Email button.

The error logs, on the other hand, show the following:

2014-10-23 16:50:00 Error: [SocketException] Invalid email: ""
Request URL: /guide_on_the_side/tutorials/view_certificate/
Stack Trace:
#0 /var/www/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Network/Email/CakeEmail.php(598): CakeEmail->_setEmail('_from', Array, NULL)
#1 /var/www/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Network/Email/CakeEmail.php(370): CakeEmail->_setEmailSingle('_from', Array, NULL, 'From requires o...')
#2 /var/www/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Controller/Component/EmailComponent.php(294): CakeEmail->from(Array)
#3 /var/www/guide_on_the_side/app/Controller/TutorialsController.php(1002): EmailComponent->send()
#4 [internal function]: TutorialsController->view_certificate()
#5 /var/www/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Controller/Controller.php(490): ReflectionMethod->invokeArgs(Object(TutorialsController), Array)
#6 /var/www/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Routing/Dispatcher.php(187): Controller->invokeAction(Object(CakeRequest))
#7 /var/www/guide_on_the_side/lib/Cake/Routing/Dispatcher.php(162): Dispatcher->_invoke(Object(TutorialsController), Object(CakeRequest), Object(CakeResponse))
#8 /var/www/guide_on_the_side/app/webroot/index.php(98): Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(CakeRequest), Object(CakeResponse))
#9 {main}

At first, I had no emails configured in config.yml so that was my fault. But now my config file looks like:

application_title: Guide on the Side
theme: GuideOnTheSide

database:
  datasource: Database/Mysql
  host: localhost
  login: *****
  password: *****
  database: guide_on_the_side

email:
send_from: valid...@here.com
send_all_feedback_to: valid...@here.com

google_analytics:
  enabled: true
  account_id: *****
  domain_name: www.lib.siu.edu

authentication:
  # local or shibboleth
  method: local

I double-checked the configuration of the guide itself, and it does have a valid email address entered.

I have seen a few other threads where this is discussed but did not find one where a solution was offered. Is this a bug or a misconfiguration?

Thanks!
Doug Simmons
SIUC Morris Library

Mike Hagedon

Oct 31, 2014, 4:34:26 PM10/31/14
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Doug,
I would check to make sure there are email addresses in both of the email fields in config.yml. Let us know if that helps.

Mike

Doug Simmons

Oct 31, 2014, 11:24:12 PM10/31/14
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

Yes, as shown in the copy and paste I included. What else should I check?

Thanks,
Doug Simmons

Mike Hagedon

Nov 1, 2014, 12:04:08 AM11/1/14
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
Oops... sorry! I see that now. Processing email too fast. :-)

Does your email address have any special character like periods or dashes in the user name? I have a hunch this might be a bug.

Doug Simmons

Nov 1, 2014, 12:09:12 AM11/1/14
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

Not the two addresses that we are using no, though i will have to watch for that since those kind of addresses exist in our organization.

Some logs I can send?

On Oct 31, 2014 11:04 PM, "Mike Hagedon" <hage...@u.library.arizona.edu> wrote:
Oops... sorry! I see that now. Processing email too fast. :-)

Does your email address have any special character like periods or dashes in the user name? I have a hunch this might be a bug.

Mike Hagedon

Nov 3, 2014, 10:25:27 AM11/3/14
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
You sent the CakePHP logs, and given that all the email addresses are valid, I'm not sure where else to look. Has anyone else seen this issue on the certificate screen?