disabling tooltips

Jeff

Jun 1, 2015, 3:17:17 PM6/1/15
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to disable the enhanced tooltips that show by default.

Where can I do this? I tried setting "show" to "false" in the jQuery UI JS file, but that had no effect. Thanks for any help.

Mike Hagedon

Jun 24, 2015, 8:52:14 PM6/24/15
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com, jeffrey...@scc.losrios.edu
Hi Jeff,

I wonder if this should be configurable? Are the tooltips causing problems?

Thanks,
Mike

Jeff

Jul 9, 2015, 12:58:20 PM7/9/15
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the pointer to that file. I tried commenting out those lines, but the tooltips remained. I also tried changing the lines to e.g.
$('a.prev').tooltip('disabled', true );
but the fancy tooltip behavior persisted. (I was sure to clear cache when testing this.) So I wonder if I'm missing something...

As for the rationale, I haven't tested in GoTS, but with another project where I added those jQuery UI tooltips, users found them irritating and unhelpful, so I ended up removing them. (I find them irritating as well.) I think probably you'd want to verify that this sort of enhancement is needed--that users have trouble understanding the navigational element without a big tooltip--before adding it.

-Jeff

Jeff

Mar 11, 2016, 12:16:03 AM3/11/16
to Guide on the Side discussion
I'd still love to be able to disable tool tips. I recently was using a tutorial on an iPad and found that they actually interfered with the navigation--the "next" tooltip would overlay the arrow and make it unclickable.

Mike Hagedon

Aug 8, 2016, 4:32:44 PM8/8/16
to Guide on the Side discussion
Hi Jeff,