Support for PHP 7?

Lisa H

Jul 5, 2017, 10:13:41 AM7/5/17
to Guide on the Side discussion
We have an install of Guide on the Side on our application server.

We need to upgrade this server to PHP 7, which will not run Guide on the Side. Do you know when /if support will be forthcoming for PHP 7?

Thanks !
Lisa Haitz
University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati, Ohio

Mike Hagedon

Jul 5, 2017, 12:52:45 PM7/5/17
to Guide on the Side discussion
Hi Lisa,
We're working on it... slowly, but we'll need it soon, too! We've run some initial tests and found that GotS seems to work with PHP7 if you use the master branch from GitHub and upgrade CakePHP to 2.9.x. Does that help?

Mike

Lisa H

Jul 5, 2017, 2:37:40 PM7/5/17
to Guide on the Side discussion
It might, I will let our server admin no. Our initial test was just a white
page (php errors), but i dont think we updated Cake, so I will try that! Thanks for your help!

Lisa

Brendon Kozlowski

Jul 19, 2017, 10:16:25 AM7/19/17
to Guide on the Side discussion
I've just committed to setting this up for our library and have been running CakePHP 2.x apps for a few years now. There's a lot of places that need fixing up and I intend to go through much of it and provide patches (pull requests) back to the main project. Unfortunately it won't be done as quickly as I'd like since this is not an officially sponsored/requested project from our library, so it'll be done on my own time, but I'm hoping to have these fixes completed in two weeks.

The PHP7 errors are indeed related to a CakePHP core versioning issue, and the v2.9.x branch should alleviate the white-screen issue. If you have an IT team that is fairly capable, they can also go into app/Config/core.php and change the 'debug' setting from 0 to 2. That will display all errors (and is what I'll be using to fix things, and upgrade the codebase to work with the 2.9.x branch). At this time I don't intend to get it to work with the 3.x branch (and the 4.x branch of CakePHP is right around the corner) but we'll see.

Mike Hagedon

Jul 27, 2017, 1:51:27 PM7/27/17
to Guide on the Side discussion
Hi Brendon,
That would be wonderful! We started looking at that here: https://github.com/ualibraries/Guide-on-the-Side/issues/161 where we upgraded one of the plugins we're using.

We're definitely open to pull requests if you do proceed.

Mike
University of Arizona Libraries

Brendon Kozlowski

Jul 27, 2017, 1:56:22 PM7/27/17
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

I am, I unfortunately broke my home dev environment and then fell (and still am) ill, so after-hours energy is nil…but this is my at-home after-hours-work priority project. :)

Brendon Kozlowski

Sep 20, 2017, 10:51:48 AM9/20/17
to Guide on the Side discussion
Just finished integrating CakePHP v2.8 into GotS, still need to walk through all of the pages to verify there are no errors, and then will spin up a PHP7 docker image to test against -- but CakePHP v2.8 was made to be compatible with PHP7. I intend to continue upgrading GotS to CakePHP v2.10 and test against PHP7.1 as well.

Quite a bit more time than my intended 2 week timeframe, though the actual amount of work thus far still fits well within that timeframe. WHOOPS on my part.

Brendon Kozlowski

Mar 8, 2018, 1:03:49 PM3/8/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Had worked on this a bit more on-and-off. A JavaScript error was preventing me from completing the upgrade. I found that a few weeks back and everything's both updated as much as possible (with the v2 branch) and running smoothly. The only thing left to do is verify its integrity on PHP v7 and 7.1 and update my merge request on Github.

Uc Webgrp

Mar 8, 2018, 2:49:01 PM3/8/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Would appreciate letting us know! Thanks for your efforts!

Brendon Kozlowski

Mar 8, 2018, 2:51:22 PM3/8/18
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

I’ll update this Google Group topic when I finally update my merge request on the official branch in Github. :)

Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:49 PM
To: Guide on the Side discussion
Subject: Re: [gots-discuss] Re: Support for PHP 7?

On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 1:03:49 PM UTC-5, Brendon Kozlowski wrote:

Had worked on this a bit more on-and-off. A JavaScript error was preventing me from completing the upgrade. I found that a few weeks back and everything's both updated as much as possible (with the v2 branch) and running smoothly. The only thing left to do is verify its integrity on PHP v7 and 7.1 and update my merge request on Github.

Brendon Kozlowski

Aug 29, 2018, 11:29:08 PM8/29/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
I kept getting stuck which is why this has taken so long. It looks like Mike has updated his repository on Github with a PHP7 compatible build; though it seems it still has an issue with newest PHP versions (`Object` class reserved word).

The first time I got stuck, it was a JavaScript error that took me quite awhile to track down (primarily because I work on this update so infrequently -- off-hours).
This most recent time I got stuck, I'm at CakePHP build version 2.10.11 (the most recent as of this date). Unfortunately, during testing, there's a 500 server error when adding a new user. This is the ONLY bug I've discovered with my latest branch. It seems to be related to the 'minLength' rule on the password field in the User model. If that rule is removed, a user can be created without issue.

If someone would like to try to tackle this in the meantime, I'd love a 2nd pair of eyes on it. Merging with Mike's latest commits from my original branch of his master would also need to be done once the User model bug is fixed.