Students unable to generate certificate with print/email button

SRJCLibraries

Jun 19, 2015, 8:07:45 PM6/19/15
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
We recently upgraded and are now having several students -- over 10 since the upgrade  -- email us via the feedback link on our tutorials to say that the print/send email button doesn't work and that they can't generate a certificate of their quiz to send to their instructor. We are flummoxed because all our librarians are able to do just that successfully on our work and home computers. With mixed content blocked in our browsers and with pop-ups blocked in our browsers (trying to create "hostile' environments). Is anyone else having reports of students not able to print and send their certificates?  We can't recreate the problem and are pulling our hair out.  We hate to stop making the Guides an assignment but are considering it.

Thanks,
Alicia

Alicia Virtue
Santa Rosa Junior College

SRJCLibraries

Jun 19, 2015, 9:52:30 PM6/19/15
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,
I even have one student who has created a youtube video showing the failure of the print/send email button to generate the certificate. Here is his message, and his video:

"Hello,

I tried with Internet Explorer and Firefox (version 38.0.5) . I tried with all add-ons disabled and enabled, I tried with all ad-blockers enabled and disabled.

PC, Windows 7. Everything on my PC is setup to auto-update.

I made a video of proof at:

                      http://youtu.be/ALPdYeeomx0

Kevin"

Graham Sherriff

Jul 7, 2015, 1:47:04 PM7/7/15
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
We recently upgraded to beta4 - emailing to a single address is working fine, but emailing to multiple addresses is not - including separating them with commas, semi-colons and simple spaces.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks!

Graham Sherriff
University of Vermont

Graham Sherriff

Jul 13, 2015, 9:06:19 PM7/13/15
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
Ok, we figured it out: multiple email addresses need to be separated by a comma **without a space**.

We think comma+space was working in the spring, ie. before we upgraded to beta4. But at least we know how this feature is working now.\

Graham

wichitastateu...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2018, 3:48:09 PM1/17/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
It has been a while since anyone commented on this post. Have you figured out what was wrong with the certificates? We're experiencing a similar issue, only no one has received certificate emails at all in recent history, but it used to work. I set myself to receive all notifications last semester and still nothing! But we don't get an error message either. There is no sign that the button works at all, even without spaces or multiple emails being selected. Any ideas why this is happening? Our institutional emails do have periods on both sides of the @, but I am given to understand that should not be an issue.

TIA,
Samuel

William Simpson

Jan 18, 2018, 12:20:07 PM1/18/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Hey Samuel,

Are you using an external SMTP server to send the emails or are they coming directly from your application server using PHP?  We had issues with our application server being marked as spam and ended up switching to using our university's main SMTP server to send the emails.  If you are using PHP to send the emails, do you see anything interesting in the logs?

Thanks,
-Will

University Libraries

Jan 19, 2018, 10:18:47 AM1/19/18
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
Will,

Thanks for your reply. We use SMTP, but you bring up a good point. I will check with our IT to verify that it is set up correctly. Do you mind sharing your email and smtp settings (wiped of any sensitive data) in your config.yml file?

Thanks again,
Samuel

William Simpson

Jan 26, 2018, 3:27:46 PM1/26/18
to Guide on the Side discussion
Hey Samuel,

We're no longer using SMTP (long story), but our configuration used to be something along the lines of:

email:
  # smtp (recommended) or php
  transport: smtp
  send_from: go...@email.arizona.edu