New to Guide on the side - help please

Jennifer Fenstermaker

Sep 1, 2015, 11:46:04 AM9/1/15
to Guide on the Side discussion
I am in IT and a newbie to Guide on the side and would like clarification on general information.

Our library staff would like to use Guide on the side and have a few questions:

1.     If we have an existing library website, how does Guide-on-the-side integrate to it?
2.     Guide on the side only runs on a Linux / Apache box?
3.     Can we run it on a VM?
4.     If we find a host to run it, how will the host integrate with our current website?
5.     Must run on a MySQL db?

You guidance is very much appreciated.

Jennifer Fenstermaker
PSU College of Medicine.

kylemc1979

Sep 23, 2015, 8:12:01 PM9/23/15
to Guide on the Side discussion
I can answer a few of your questions.
1.  basically Guide on the side is its own website.  You go to it and there are tutorials you can use that display parts of websites for you.  For instance you might have a "how to use the Library of Congress website".  The guide would show the Library of congress website and the tutorial would be a side bar on the side.
2.  Guide on the Side runs on Linux / Apache server.  We used Debian as the OS for our deployment.
3.  yes you can run it on a VM.
4.  basically Guide on the side is its own website.  You go to it and there are tutorials you can use that display parts of websites for you.  For instance you might have a "how to use the Library of Congress website".  The guide would show the Library of congress website and the tutorial would be a side bar on the side.
5.  Yes its designed to run Mysql.

Hope this helps, we are still trying to figure everything out ourselves.
Kyle
Server administrator for Oklahoma State University