Pop-up quiz corrector problem with FireFox

markzil

Oct 26, 2012, 11:40:23 AM10/26/12
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Is anyone else having a problem with the pop-up quiz corrector in FireFox?
Thank you,
Mark

Sult, Leslie

Oct 26, 2012, 12:45:54 PM10/26/12
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mark – this is Leslie, can you give mike and I  more specifics so that we can look to see what is going on with the quiz corrector?

Thanks!

Leslie

markzil

Oct 26, 2012, 2:58:28 PM10/26/12
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
Sure, One of our librarians created a guide. Toward the end of the guide she built a short quiz. In IE, when a user checks an answer, a small popup appears and tells the student whether or not they are correct. In FireFox, no pop up appears. I am running Redhat 6, Apache 2.2, MySQL 5.0 and PHP 5.3.3
Thank you,
Mark

On Friday, October 26, 2012 12:48:33 PM UTC-4, sultl wrote:

Hi Mark – this is Leslie, can you give mike and I  more specifics so that we can look to see what is going on with the quiz corrector?

Thanks!

Leslie

Hi, Is anyone else having a problem with the pop-up quiz corrector in FireFox?
Thank you,
Mark

Sult, Leslie

Oct 26, 2012, 3:02:54 PM10/26/12
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

Thanks – this maybe a Mike thing if it is doing it in one browser but not another – with the quiz there should not be a pop-up – all it should do is grade at the end and then allow the user to send an email to themselves or to their librarian / professor / instructor. The pop-up responses should be showing up in the instructional part of the tutorial, but not the quiz part. Hopefully we can figure out why it is appearing in one and not the other.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gots-discuss/-/GRSvyRv7U1IJ.

Hagedon, Mike

Oct 26, 2012, 4:11:47 PM10/26/12
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mark,

Which version of Firefox do you have? Also, does it show any JavaScript errors?

Mike

Oct 30, 2012, 12:37:08 PM10/30/12
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
I am using 16.0.2 and no, it is showing no javascript errors.
Thank you,
Mark

Hagedon, Mike

Oct 30, 2012, 7:08:49 PM10/30/12
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

Mark,

I apologize for not getting to this yet. Do you have Firebug installed? If not, the Firebug console might give more information. Clicking a radio button fires a HTTP request and gets back JSON; I suppose it’s possible those could be failing in Firefox for some reason.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gots-discuss/-/7-w5_mtkaO0J.

markzil

Oct 31, 2012, 11:34:40 AM10/31/12
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
Mike,
Firebug isn't returning any errors.
Mark

Hagedon, Mike

Nov 15, 2012, 2:56:11 PM11/15/12
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

Mark,

Sorry… it looks like I dropped the ball on this conversation. Is the problem still happening?

And on re-reading the original problem, is the question part of the main tutorial or an add-on quiz? That affects the behavior of the pop-up. Page 4 of the User Guide mentions a bit about this: http://code.library.arizona.edu/gots/documentation.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gots-discuss/-/APjvCYzCZkYJ.

markzil

Nov 15, 2012, 3:47:17 PM11/15/12
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
I think the problem is on the main tutorial. It works fine in IE, but not FireFox and Chrome.
Mark

dflitner

Dec 12, 2012, 4:33:19 PM12/12/12
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
I've just run across this problem in Chrome (Version 23.0.1271.95).  However, I'm not sure it results from the same issue.

I've created a custom theme and have only copied over the files in which I've made changes.
   View/Layouts/default.ctp -> Themed/MyTheme/Layouts/default.ctp
   View/Layouts/institution.ctp -> Themed/MyTheme/Layouts/institution.ctp
   View/Tutorials/view_tutorial_only.ctp -> Themed/MyTheme/Tutorials/view_tutorial_only.ctp

In order to get my theme's css file to work, I had to create a webroot folder in my theme.
  webroot/css/default.css -> Themed/MyTheme/webroot/css/default.css
In any other location (that I can think to place it) the css file doesn't load.

However, I think creating this folder is messing up something else.  As soon as I make a webroot folder, the pop-up Correct/Incorrect feedback boxes on Questions within the tutorial no longer function and I see this error message in the console.
"Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) ..../guide_on_the_side/theme/MyTheme/questions/get_immediate_feedback/2"

Is there a better way to use custom css files and/or should I be moving more files than just the ones that I've changed?

Hagedon, Mike

Jan 11, 2013, 6:20:20 PM1/11/13
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

Well, that definitely looks like a bug, either in GotS or in CakePHP. Did you find out any more about this?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gots-discuss/-/-Jxg4QSIXgYJ.

Debbie Flitner

Jan 11, 2013, 6:25:25 PM1/11/13
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

Nope.  I don’t know anything about CakePHP and was worried about breaking something important if I messed around too much.  Please let me know if I can provide any more information to help your people figure it out.

-Debbie

Hagedon, Mike

Jan 11, 2013, 6:29:20 PM1/11/13
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Debbie. I’ll look into it.

https://github.com/ualibraries/Guide-on-the-Side/issues/19

Debbie Flitner

May 15, 2013, 2:54:03 PM5/15/13
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mike,

Have you had a chance to look at this issue yet?  Our librarians are wanting to use Guide on the Side soonish.

Thanks,
Debbie

Hagedon, Mike

May 15, 2013, 5:38:17 PM5/15/13
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

I haven’t really. Could you send me the custom theme files off-list so I can reproduce the problem? Thanks!

Link Swanson

Sep 17, 2013, 4:58:28 PM9/17/13
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com
If you have your GOTS admin pages running over https (SSL), you may want to try it on plain http and see if you are still having these problems.

I found that jquery library does not load on FF and Chrome when running over https because it is "mixed content"

Worth a try.

Link

Hagedon, Mike

Sep 18, 2013, 3:17:35 PM9/18/13
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

Yes, good point, Link. Thanks – the problem you mention will be fixed in the next release of GotS.

Debbie Flitner

Sep 18, 2013, 3:40:18 PM9/18/13
to gots-d...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for the suggestion, Link.  I do appreciate it.

However, we are not using SSL for any of our GotS pages.

-Debbie