the meaning of a trip

msoulier

Jun 7, 2010, 11:19:03 PM6/7/10
to Google Transit Trip Planner
Hi,

I'm trying to understand the GTFS spec. Is a trip only the distance
travelled between two stations, with the corresponding shapes
describing the shape between the two stations, or is a trip larger?

Thanks,
Mike

Tom Brown

Jun 8, 2010, 11:43:26 AM6/8/10
to Google Transit Trip Planner
Larger.
From the spec :
trips.txt - Required. This file lists all trips and their routes. A
trip is a sequence of two or more stops that occurs at specific time

I strongly recommend diving into an actual gtfs file such as the demo
feed at the bottom of the spec or real feeds from
http://code.google.com/p/googletransitdatafeed/wiki/PublicFeeds

Michael P. Soulier

Jun 8, 2010, 12:33:45 PM6/8/10
to google...@googlegroups.com
On 08/06/10 Tom Brown said:

> Larger.
> From the spec :
> trips.txt - Required. This file lists all trips and their routes. A
> trip is a sequence of two or more stops that occurs at specific time
>
> I strongly recommend diving into an actual gtfs file such as the demo
> feed at the bottom of the spec or real feeds from
> http://code.google.com/p/googletransitdatafeed/wiki/PublicFeeds

I looked at it but it wasn't clear to me at the time.

So, a common need would be to prune the shapes to just the passenger journey
then.

Thanks,
Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msou...@digitaltorque.ca>
--Albert Einstein

signature.asc

R. H. Baker

Jun 8, 2010, 6:31:19 PM6/8/10
to Google Transit Trip Planner
Google does that. (Prune the shapes).

We prune portions of our route shapes used only for non-revenue trips
OUT before we give them to Google, but I'm not sure even that's a
requirement. I suspect you'd need to ask around.

On Jun 8, 9:33 am, "Michael P. Soulier" <msoul...@digitaltorque.ca>
wrote:
> On 08/06/10 Tom Brown said:
>
> > Larger.
> > From the spec :
> > trips.txt - Required. This file lists all trips and their routes. A
> > trip is a sequence of two or more stops that occurs at specific time
>
> > I strongly recommend diving into an actual gtfs file such as the demo
> > feed at the bottom of the spec or real feeds from
> >http://code.google.com/p/googletransitdatafeed/wiki/PublicFeeds
>
> I looked at it but it wasn't clear to me at the time.
>
> So, a common need would be to prune the shapes to just the passenger journey
> then.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
> --
> Michael P. Soulier <msoul...@digitaltorque.ca>
> "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a
> touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
> --Albert Einstein
>
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

Fabien Viger

Jun 9, 2010, 12:28:34 PM6/9/10
to google...@googlegroups.com
Yes; if a trip has non-public parts, for example when a vehicle goes from the last passenger stop to the depot, or from the depot to the first passenger stop, then Google would not display the part of the shape that isn't used in a passenger journey.
Google Transit only diplays the part of the shape that is between the boarding stop and the alighting stop.
I hope that this answers your concern!

Fabien, from Google.