Announcing GPE/GWT 2.2 RC1

Chris Ramsdale

Feb 7, 2011, 10:07:16 PM2/7/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Google Web Toolkit Contributors

    This release includes fixes and updates for the following items:

    GPE 2.2 RC1
    • Fixed "Widget is disposed" errors that occur when editing Launch Configurations
    • Fixed NullPointerException that occurs when deleting a launch configuration that has been launched

    Version 2.2 will only have deprecated support for Java 1.5, resulting in warnings when building applications. While Java 1.5 will still work for at least the next release of GWT, developers should upgrade their version of Java to correct these warnings and ensure compatibility with future versions of GWT.

    -- Chris, on behalf of the GWT, App Engine, and Google Plugin teams

stuckagain

Feb 8, 2011, 2:47:54 AM2/8/11
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com, google-we...@googlegroups.com
What features in Java 6 would be so fundamental to GWT that 1.5 becomes deprecated ?

Ümit

Feb 8, 2011, 9:41:16 AM2/8/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
Do I need a new version of gin for this release? I am asking because I get following error if I try to compile a project which works fine with GWT 2.1.1 with the new release?

java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found interface com.google.gwt.core.ext.typeinfo.JClassType, but class was expected
at com.google.gwt.inject.rebind.GinjectorGeneratorImpl.validateInjectorClass(GinjectorGeneratorImpl.java:84)

thanks in advance
cheers

Ümit

Christian Goudreau

Feb 8, 2011, 10:05:55 AM2/8/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Well knowing that Java 7 is expected to be released mid 2011, I think that it's just normal to deprecated older versions. Btw, I don't understand why people keep Gwt up to date, but not Java ?

Way to go Gwt dev !

Cheers,

Christian Goudreau

Travis Camechis

Feb 8, 2011, 10:11:56 AM2/8/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
At some point in a project you have to move on, plus it hasn't been removed yet, just deprecated.

Y2i

Feb 8, 2011, 10:29:28 AM2/8/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com

Greg Dougherty

Feb 8, 2011, 3:02:31 PM2/8/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Well, leaving aside the question of "why HAVEN'T you upgraded to Java
6", the various isEmpty () methods are quite cool, and wrth an upgrade
just for that.

Greg

Greg Dougherty

Feb 8, 2011, 3:05:00 PM2/8/11
to Google Web Toolkit
The other thing to remember is that if they claim to support Java 5,
then they have to test against it. Given limited testing ability,
where would you have them spend their resources:
1: Making sure Java 1.5 still works
2: Making sure Java 6 works even better?

Greg

Jeff Larsen

Feb 8, 2011, 3:11:29 PM2/8/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Also it is very cool to be able to put @Override on interface methods.

Jim Douglas

Feb 8, 2011, 3:14:16 PM2/8/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I'm curious about what is keeping you on Java 5? It reached final
EOSL 16 months ago:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/

Jeff Schwartz

Feb 8, 2011, 3:15:30 PM2/8/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Java 5 is just soooo old lol. Java 6 makes me feel soooo young and Java 7 will make me feel like a kid again lol.

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Jeff Larsen <lars...@gmail.com> wrote:
Also it is very cool to be able to put @Override on interface methods.

Jeff Schwartz

Thomas Broyer

Feb 8, 2011, 3:37:23 PM2/8/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I bet internal infrastructure, and maybe Mac OS X (see "For developers that don't have easy access to Java 6 (such as developers using Mac OS X), the App Engine SDK is compatible with Java 5." at http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/gettingstarted/installing.html )

And to others, note that the @Override on interface methods and .isEmpty() on String is already supported by GWT.

Jim Douglas

Feb 8, 2011, 3:55:49 PM2/8/11
to Google Web Toolkit
That comment is a bit out of date. Java 6 was released for Intel Macs
running Leopard on April 29, 2008. I've been using Java 6 on this
MacBook Pro as my primary development system since October 2008.

On Feb 8, 12:37 pm, Thomas Broyer <t.bro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I bet internal infrastructure, and maybe Mac OS X (see "For developers that
> don't have easy access to Java 6 (such as developers using Mac OS X), the
> App Engine SDK is compatible with Java 5." athttp://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/gettingstarted/installing....)

Y2i

Feb 8, 2011, 4:58:43 PM2/8/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Jim, I think when they referred to easy access they meant something like sudo apt-get install java6-sdk :-)

Jim Douglas

Feb 8, 2011, 5:17:15 PM2/8/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Incidentally, every GWT presentation at Google IO 2010 was done on a
Mac:

http://www.google.com/events/io/2010/sessions.html#GWT

On Feb 8, 1:58 pm, Y2i <yur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jim, I think when they referred to *easy access* they meant something like *sudo
> apt-get install java6-sdk* :-)

Ray Ryan

Feb 8, 2011, 6:25:40 PM2/8/11
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com, google-we...@googlegroups.com
It's not so much about missing features (although it will be nice to be allowed to use and emulate features that were added to the language more than four years ago). It's more about being in step with the rest of Google's code base. Having to keep an eye out for 1.6'ism creeping in has been a non-negligible tax on the GWT team, and it's one we would like to stop paying.

rjrjr

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:47 PM, stuckagain <david...@gmail.com> wrote:
What features in Java 6 would be so fundamental to GWT that 1.5 becomes deprecated ?

Sky

Feb 12, 2011, 4:19:00 AM2/12/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

to come back to the GWT 2.2 exception Ümit mentioned above, I too have
this error. Do we need a new GIN. jar??

here is my complete Stacktrace i get when i compile my project with
new GWT 2.2:

java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found interface
com.google.gwt.core.ext.typeinfo.JClassType, but class was expected
at
com.google.gwt.inject.rebind.GinjectorGeneratorImpl.validateInjectorClass(GinjectorGeneratorImpl.java:
84)
at
com.google.gwt.inject.rebind.GinjectorGeneratorImpl.generate(GinjectorGeneratorImpl.java:
65)
at
com.google.gwt.inject.rebind.GinjectorGenerator.generate(GinjectorGenerator.java:
47)
at
com.google.gwt.core.ext.GeneratorExtWrapper.generate(GeneratorExtWrapper.java:
48)
at
com.google.gwt.core.ext.GeneratorExtWrapper.generateIncrementally(GeneratorExtWrapper.java:
60)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.javac.StandardGeneratorContext.runGeneratorIncrementally(StandardGeneratorContext.java:
662)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.cfg.RuleGenerateWith.realize(RuleGenerateWith.java:
41)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.StandardRebindOracle
$Rebinder.rebind(StandardRebindOracle.java:74)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.StandardRebindOracle.rebind(StandardRebindOracle.java:
259)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.StandardRebindOracle.rebind(StandardRebindOracle.java:
248)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.DistillerRebindPermutationOracle.getAllPossibleRebindAnswers(DistillerRebindPermutationOracle.java:
91)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.jdt.WebModeCompilerFrontEnd.doFindAdditionalTypesUsingRebinds(WebModeCompilerFrontEnd.java:
106)
at com.google.gwt.dev.jdt.AbstractCompiler$Sandbox
$CompilerImpl.process(AbstractCompiler.java:254)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:
444)
at com.google.gwt.dev.jdt.AbstractCompiler$Sandbox
$CompilerImpl.compile(AbstractCompiler.java:175)
at com.google.gwt.dev.jdt.AbstractCompiler$Sandbox
$CompilerImpl.compile(AbstractCompiler.java:288)
at com.google.gwt.dev.jdt.AbstractCompiler$Sandbox$CompilerImpl.access
$400(AbstractCompiler.java:145)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.jdt.AbstractCompiler.compile(AbstractCompiler.java:
632)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.jdt.BasicWebModeCompiler.getCompilationUnitDeclarations(BasicWebModeCompiler.java:
124)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.jdt.WebModeCompilerFrontEnd.getCompilationUnitDeclarations(WebModeCompilerFrontEnd.java:
54)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.jjs.JavaToJavaScriptCompiler.precompile(JavaToJavaScriptCompiler.java:
517)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.jjs.JavaScriptCompiler.precompile(JavaScriptCompiler.java:
35)
at com.google.gwt.dev.Precompile.precompile(Precompile.java:541)
at com.google.gwt.dev.Precompile.precompile(Precompile.java:495)
at com.google.gwt.dev.Precompile.precompile(Precompile.java:407)
at com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler.run(Compiler.java:215)
at com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler.run(Compiler.java:187)
at com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler$1.run(Compiler.java:159)
at com.google.gwt.dev.CompileTaskRunner.doRun(CompileTaskRunner.java:
87)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.CompileTaskRunner.runWithAppropriateLogger(CompileTaskRunner.java:
81)
at com.google.gwt.dev.Compiler.main(Compiler.java:166)

[ERROR] Unexpected
[...]

Y2i

Feb 12, 2011, 7:12:07 PM2/12/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Christian Goudreau

Feb 12, 2011, 7:20:57 PM2/12/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Well, I have the same error and I compiled Gin's trunk...

Christian Goudreau

Y2i

Feb 12, 2011, 9:00:05 PM2/12/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I got the jars from this link: https://github.com/larsenje/google-gin-pom/tree/master/maven
They worked with GWT 2.2.0 RC1 and work now after upgrading to GWT 2.2.0

roger7467

Feb 13, 2011, 1:32:54 PM2/13/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Me too,what's wrong?