Adding GWT to Existing Web Project

Steve

Sep 21, 2011, 2:37:56 PM9/21/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I've searched and while there are some similar post, I've not yet been
able to find my exact situation.

We have an existing, working web application. There is NO UI. It is
purely service based right now. We want to build a UI over this
application using GWT.

I don't want to build a separate GWT project and try to worry about
cross-project references, I would like to just add GWT to the existing
project. But I'm not sure how to do that. We use Eclipse and
creating a new project is simple, but I'm not sure what to do to be
able to add GWT support to an existing project.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Or any links to
research? Thanks in advance.

joe kolba

Sep 21, 2011, 3:02:48 PM9/21/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
It's easy, create a seperate gwt project.  Once you are done developing, just compile your javascript, extract your server side class files, webapp (js), html and css.  Just drop them into your existing deployment and your done.  With GWT you are just cross compiling and creating client and server side code. Or you can create a GWT Project and add whatever java framework around it (ie: Spring, struts...).  As long as the packages aren't in your GWT project xml file they won't be cross compiled.

Tom Carchrae

Sep 21, 2011, 4:08:27 PM9/21/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
The other alternative, if you already have a REST (or similar) API to you current application, is to not use the GWT server side components at all.  This would be appropriate if, for example, you don't want to touch the current server with the new GWT code (eg, adding the GWT servlet)

You can also easily add GWT to support to an existing project in Eclipse.  Right click on the project in the navigator, then Google -> Web Toolkit Settings, and enable it.  You'll then need to copy the GWT servlet and modify web.xml to use it (and add a GWT module/package to your source)

Steve

Sep 21, 2011, 5:11:16 PM9/21/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks -- we do have existing server side code, and my thinking is
that we'd still leverage the GWT Server components, but just to call
into our existing server code. One quick question -- I'm looking at
my standalone GWT projects and I don't see any reference to a GWT
servlet in the web.xml. What is the name of of the servlet?