GWT URLs with # don't work with IE7

Roy

Apr 13, 2011, 1:33:29 PM4/13/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Hello,

There seem to be a know issue with IE which doesn't respond to URLs
that have # sign in them.
See for example: https://mootools.lighthouseapp.com/projects/2706/tickets/638-request-fails-when-url-has-hash-in-ie7

As we use # quite frequently in out GWT based application we are
lacking support for IE7 users who want to browse the site.

Is there any known workaround for GWT other then modifying the URL?

Jan Mostert

Apr 13, 2011, 1:47:31 PM4/13/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com, Roy
What does your index.html page look like? There's some iFrame magic that needs to be done for history to work in IE

This is what I use in one of my applications:
<iframe src="javascript:''" id="__gwt_historyFrame" tabIndex='-1' style="position:absolute;width:0;height:0;border:0"></iframe>

--
Jan Vladimir Mostert
BEngSci

MyCee Technologies

joe kolba

Apr 13, 2011, 1:52:33 PM4/13/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
i had the same problem, when i was testing in IE7 it would actually refresh the page when i tried to use #

Roy

Apr 13, 2011, 1:53:52 PM4/13/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I've already got this line in index.html.
Can you try few # based URLs with IE7?

On Apr 13, 6:47 pm, Jan Mostert <jan.most...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What does your index.html page look like? There's some iFrame magic that
> needs to be done for history to work in IE
>
> This is what I use in one of my applications:
> <iframe src="javascript:''" id="__gwt_historyFrame"
> tabIndex='-1' style="position:absolute;width:0;height:0;border:0"></iframe>
>
> --
> Jan Vladimir Mostert
> BEngSci
>
> MyCee Technologies
>
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Roy <roy.cohe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > There seem to be a know issue with IE which doesn't respond to URLs
> > that have # sign in them.
> > See for example:
> >https://mootools.lighthouseapp.com/projects/2706/tickets/638-request-...

Roy

Apr 13, 2011, 2:08:25 PM4/13/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Now that I think about it I don't think I can modify the URL not to
have "#" as we need "#!" in order the site to support Google's Ajax
crawling scheme...
Any ideas?

Thomas Broyer

Apr 14, 2011, 6:23:13 AM4/14/11

On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:33:29 PM UTC+2, Roy wrote:
Hello,

There seem to be a know issue with IE which doesn't respond to URLs
that have # sign in them.
See for example: https://mootools.lighthouseapp.com/projects/2706/tickets/638-request-fails-when-url-has-hash-in-ie7

This has nothing to do with navigating within an AJAX app. What they're saying here is that a RequestBuilder in GWT (Request in Mootools) would fail in IE7 if the requested URL contains a #: new RequestBuilder(RequestBuilder.GET, "foo#bar").

As we use # quite frequently in out GWT based application we are
lacking support for IE7 users who want to browse the site.

Is there any known workaround for GWT other then modifying the URL?

I'm not sure whether you actually experienced a bug or if this mere speculation after reading the Mootools but report (about something entirely different actually).
Anyway, I confirm the Showcase sample runs without any problem in IE7.

Thomas Broyer

Andy

Apr 14, 2011, 10:21:22 AM4/14/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Is this the issue you're referring to?

http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=2152

If so, we use two different workarounds, depending on the case. See my
comments throughout that thread.

A substantial portion of our page views are generated by requesting an
HTML fragment from the server via RPC and inserting that into the DOM
using setInnerHTML. This is the case that causes problems for IE.

-Andy