Chrome 15, GWT DMP Plugin crashes

pjspychala

Oct 26, 2011, 1:38:54 PM10/26/11
to Google Web Toolkit
After upgrading to a new version of the browser (Chrome 15) it seems
that the plugin no longer likes whats going on. I've tried
uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin without success.

What happens:

Webapp loads
I can do some actions on the webapp, but 95% of actions will freeze
chrome. Eventually chrome will ask to disable the plugin which will
unfreeze the good stuff which will leave me with this inside Eclipse:

13:32:15.151 [ERROR] [???] Remote connection lost

com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannel$RemoteDeathError: Remote
connection lost
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.reactToMessages(BrowserChannelServer.java:
307)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.processConnection(BrowserChannelServer.java:
546)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.run(BrowserChannelServer.java:
363)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket
write error
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Unknown Source)
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source)
at java.io.DataOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannel
$ReturnMessage.send(BrowserChannel.java:1310)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannel
$ReturnMessage.send(BrowserChannel.java:1315)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.reactToMessages(BrowserChannelServer.java:
295)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.processConnection(BrowserChannelServer.java:
546)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.run(BrowserChannelServer.java:
363)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

which is expected and this:

13:32:15.080 [ERROR] [???] Uncaught exception escaped

com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannel$RemoteDeathError: Remote
connection lost
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.reactToMessagesWhileWaitingForReturn(BrowserChannelServer.java:
354)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.invokeJavascript(BrowserChannelServer.java:
218)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpaceOOPHM.doInvoke(ModuleSpaceOOPHM.java:
136)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.invokeNative(ModuleSpace.java:
561)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.invokeNativeObject(ModuleSpace.java:
269)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.JavaScriptHost.invokeNativeObject(JavaScriptHost.java:
91)
at com.google.gwt.core.client.impl.Impl.apply(Impl.java)
at com.google.gwt.core.client.impl.Impl.entry0(Impl.java:213)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor39.invoke(Unknown Source)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.MethodAdaptor.invoke(MethodAdaptor.java:103)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.MethodDispatch.invoke(MethodDispatch.java:71)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.OophmSessionHandler.invoke(OophmSessionHandler.java:
172)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.reactToMessages(BrowserChannelServer.java:
292)
[...]
340)
[...]

Nothing to exciting.

savilak

Oct 26, 2011, 1:47:46 PM10/26/11
to Google Web Toolkit
We have the same issue with Chrome 16.0.912.12 dev-m.
In case we deploy the app or use IE in debug mode the app works fine!

Thanks
Savilak

On Oct 26, 8:38 pm, pjspychala <tomatoactiva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After upgrading to a new version of the browser (Chrome15) it seems
> that the plugin no longer likes whats going on. I've tried
> uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin without success.
>
> What happens:
>
> Webapp loads
> I can do some actions on the webapp, but 95% of actions will freezechrome. Eventuallychromewill ask to disable the plugin which will
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.reactToMessagesWhileWaitingFo rReturn(BrowserChannelServer.java:
> 340)
>     at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.invokeJavascript(BrowserChann elServer.java:

Juan Pablo Gardella

Oct 26, 2011, 2:36:37 PM10/26/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I use Chrome v16 dev and works.

pjspychala

Oct 27, 2011, 1:43:37 PM10/27/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Yeah, i can deploy fine and it works without the development plugin in
all browsers. The IE dev plugin works fine too.

-Paul

Robert Becker

Oct 28, 2011, 6:14:59 AM10/28/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I just opened a bug report: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=102048

Feel free to comment and add further information!

On Oct 26, 7:38 pm, pjspychala <tomatoactiva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>     at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor39.invoke(Unknown Source)
>     at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
>     at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.MethodAdaptor.invoke(MethodAdaptor.java:103)
>     at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.MethodDispatch.invoke(MethodDispatch.java:71)
>     at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.OophmSessionHandler.invoke(OophmSessionHandler.jav a:
> 172)
>     at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.reactToMessages(BrowserChanne lServer.java:
> 292)
>     at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.processConnection(BrowserChan nelServer.java:

Robert Becker

Oct 28, 2011, 5:32:19 AM10/28/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Same problem here. Everything worked fine until the last update to
Chrome 15. Source code of the application did not change at all.

The application starts and after switching to a different view, chrome
becomes unresponsive and the DMP crashes.

> [...]
>     at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor39.invoke(Unknown Source)
>     at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
>     at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.MethodAdaptor.invoke(MethodAdaptor.java:103)
>     at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.MethodDispatch.invoke(MethodDispatch.java:71)
>     at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.OophmSessionHandler.invoke(OophmSessionHandler.jav a:
> 172)
>     at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.reactToMessages(BrowserChanne lServer.java:
> 292)
>     at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.processConnection(BrowserChan nelServer.java:

Robert Becker

Oct 28, 2011, 12:06:17 PM10/28/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I narrowed the problem down to a JSNI-call right after view
initialization. I guess something in the sluggish development-mode is
too slow when additional native code is executed and a timeout occurs.
After modifying the native call with a delay like this, it works fine:
public static native void init() /*-{
$wnd.setTimeout($wnd.initialize, 100);
}-*/;

Note, that the $wnd.initialize() method is rather light weight and
normally completed within some 10ms, so the function itself should not
be the reason why the DMP plugin locks up.

Besides delaying the initialization, the native call returns
immediately so the normal view creation process can continue.

John Patterson

Dec 1, 2011, 2:35:35 AM12/1/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Was this issue ever fixed?  I'm getting it now after upgrading chrome to the dev channel and then reverting it back to the stable channel

John Patterson

Oct 21, 2012, 1:59:08 AM10/21/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Download Chome 21 and use it instead until this bug is resolved.

http://www.oldapps.com/google_chrome.php

On Sunday, 21 October 2012 09:23:02 UTC+7, Cristobal Ramirez wrote:
same problem in chrome v22.0.1229.94 m
but works well in mozilla & IE..
..any idea to fix this problem??

John Patterson

Oct 21, 2012, 2:28:11 AM10/21/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
BTW, just save it on your desktop and turn off auto-update or it will be replaced with the broken new version as soon as you restart it.

Drew Spencer

Oct 22, 2012, 8:51:00 AM10/22/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Cheers for the link.

John Patterson

Oct 22, 2012, 9:58:10 PM10/22/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thats exactly the version I have and it works for me on a mac.  Make sure it is not being upgraded automatically.  the old version has a wrench icon in the top right corner, the new version has a few horizontal black lines.

On 22/10/2012, at 7:00 PM, Juanra Collado wrote:

Wich version exactly?? I'm with the 21.0.1180.89 m and still doesn't work

thanks