Super Dev Mode - Source maps break points ignored

Rocco De Angelis

Jan 21, 2015, 2:24:00 PM1/21/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm very happy with the super dev mode. Recompiling after a change takes between 2-3 secs.
But with the current state of GWT 2.7 (trunk) I'm not able to make some break points in Chrome (41 dev) or IE11?
It seems that the generated source maps are not correctly because some break points seems to work but the local variables
don't match to the code and also step over doesn't work in the debugger.
I remember that some bugs have been fixed in the case that <collapse-all-properties> will be used.
But also removing <collapse-all-properties> doesn't work.

Somebody fighting with the some issue?
Is it possible to check whether the generated souce map is correctly?

BR
Rocco

Jens

Jan 21, 2015, 4:01:35 PM1/21/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I would first blame Chrome if you use the dev channel of Chrome. Try beta or stable channel and see if you still have issues. Also note that you can not set break points in grey lines since they do not have source mapping information.

-- J.

Rocco De Angelis

Jan 21, 2015, 4:55:36 PM1/21/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jens,
yes sane behavior in Chrome stable. The gray and white lines seems to be correct. But when I run into a break point the local variables a completely incorrect and when I try to step over the code I get really strange jumps. The same behavior appears also in IE11. But it's strange that the gray and white lines get display correctly?

Rocco De Angelis

Jan 22, 2015, 6:01:10 PM1/22/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Short update:

Okay it seems that the problem is somewhere in the generated source maps.
Some of our GWT modules work completely fine with Super Dev Mode withe the current GWT version 2.7 (trunk) and Chrome 40.
But when I try to debug one of our largest modules I'm not able to correctly debut the code with Super Dev Mode in Chrome.

I take a look in the gwt-compiler server folders and I noticed that the sometime the symbolMaps folder contains only one json file
and sometime a *.json file and a *.symbolMap file.

The module that can not be debugged correctly contains both.
The *.symbolMap file is also very large (31MB) compared to the *.json file (2.3)?
Is it possible to validate whether the source map files are correctly?

BR
Rocco

Rasmus Lock Fuglsang

Mar 27, 2015, 4:12:57 AM3/27/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
We are fighting with this issue as well.

Any progress/Fix/Workaround found?

Rocco De Angelis

Mar 27, 2015, 5:56:32 AM3/27/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rasmus,

on the GWT.create I had a short discussion with Brain Slesinsky, he seems to be responsible for the Super Dev Mode.
He told me that he has a tool to validate the generated Source Map, but he was nut sure if he could made this tool open source :)

Do you have only the problem when you try to run in a break point during the page load / on module load?
Or also if you try to set a break point somewhere in a onclick method?

BR
Rocco