What Major Companies Use GWT???

Sir Codealot

Oct 25, 2010, 11:06:01 AM10/25/10
to Google Web Toolkit
What major companies are already using GWT? I'm a little surprised
that this sort of info is not available and obvious, front and center,
on the GWT FAQs, but I can't find it. Most software tools have a big,
glowing page with all of the corporate logos that make use of that
software.

Background: A client and I are trying to decide whether or not to use
GWT as the tool to implement an application which will first reside
within their Intranet, but may well soon be expanded for their end
customer use through the Internet. It is also expected to have a
reasonable lifetime (five or more years) without being rewritten from
the ground up, although it will need to go through major revisions
when ported from intranet to Internet availability.

GWT looks great, but to sell this to them (and myself), I need some
level of confidence that I'm not an early (or lonely, or small fish
only) adopter.

Harpal Grover

Oct 25, 2010, 6:00:34 PM10/25/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
> --

I agree, I've often thought about this as well. I think it would be
nice to know if there are some major companies (other than Google)
throwing their full support behind this framework like Oracle or IBM
have with other Java frameworks.

--
Harpal Grover

Thomas Broyer

Oct 25, 2010, 6:25:41 PM10/25/10
to Google Web Toolkit
You can have a look at:
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/developer_spotlight.html
and http://gwtgallery.appspot.com/
linked from the doc (under "community")

Other than that, JBoss is using it in JBoss Rules/Drools (Guvnor), and
I attended last week a session from Yannick Kirschhoffer who uses it
at Logica Luxembourg to build Enterprise apps (talked about an app for
an insurance company): http://www.amiando.com/alfresco-developer-conference-paris-2010.html?page=426594
We, at Atol C&D, have built an e-HR app for EADS France in GWT, in
production for almost 2 years.
I've heard that SFR (phone operator in France, held by Vodafone) is
building their internal CRM (or maybe much broader, i.e. also managing
customer contracts, etc.) with GWT.

You're definitely not an early adopter.

alab

Oct 25, 2010, 6:41:30 PM10/25/10
to Google Web Toolkit
A lot of companies do, but internally. I know Goldman Sachs used it
internally..a few years back. I am not sure if they still do.

Stefan Bachert

Oct 26, 2010, 9:42:17 AM10/26/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

On 25 Okt., 11:06, Sir Codealot <blacat...@comcast.net> wrote:
> What major companies are already using GWT?  I'm a little surprised
> that this sort of info is not available and obvious, front and center,
> on the GWT FAQs, but I can't find it.

I agree the business position of GWT is to weak in spite of its
strength.
Google itself does not earn with GWT so the incentives are weak.

Another point is, there are a lot of GUI technology out there. It is
very hard for companies to decide

JSP, JSF, Iceface, ASF, Wicket, Qt, jquery,
Flash, Flex, SilverLight, JX,
GWT with smartClient, GWT with GXT, GWT with Mosaic, GWT pure,
CaptianCasa,
Vaadin
Swing, SWT, AWT
Eclipse RCP, Eclipse RAP,
quoxdoo
JAXX,
XUL.

I am surely missed the most.
Some of them are doing just half the way.

I know companies that are using GWT in some way
- RedHat
- IBM, Lombardi
- Google (quite sure)

However, sometimes a tool uses GWT but this is not really published.
XWiki, Magnolia CMS for example

Stefan Bachert
http://gwtworld.de

PhilBeaudoin

Oct 26, 2010, 11:25:30 AM10/26/10
to Google Web Toolkit
VMWare uses it in its new Code2Cloud project:
http://tasktop.com/blog/tasktop/springsource-vmware-code2cloud

Google do use it in many products, in particular adwords. There is a
question on the topic in Quora, might be a good place to add some
answers:
https://www.quora.com/What-web-applications-use-Google-Web-Toolkit-(GWT)

Philippe

hezjing

Oct 27, 2010, 2:55:09 AM10/27/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Do you know what are the server technologies these companies are using (e.g. EJB)?

Hez

Flori

Oct 27, 2010, 4:01:30 AM10/27/10
to Google Web Toolkit
http://www.jboss.org/drools/drools-guvnor.html uses GWT + Errai + GXT
and JBOSS as Application Server

markM

Oct 27, 2010, 9:46:02 AM10/27/10
to Google Web Toolkit
We use it within the Pfizer corporation. It's also been used within
Toyota U.S. You may also want to visit the smart-soft web site as
many of the companies listed there have probably taken GWT training.

It's a beautiful thing to no longer have to deal with JSP's. Even
with facilities like JSF, which was a huge advance, I still spent half
my time figuring out some screwy way to, say, display a dialog in
conjunction with making numerous necessary callbacks to the server. I
felt like I was spending half my time on non-requirements related
technical issues. I used to constantly have to do illogical and
unintuitive things to fix problems. In addition to the fact that most
JSP tools still don't do a good job of type checking leaving you
staring at your screen wondering why something isn't working or having
to chase through a stack trace to figure it out. When I moved to GWT
I felt like someone took the handcuffs off. It ain't perfect, not
technology is, but it's quite a bit better than anything I was using
before this. I use Spring on the back end and tools like incubator
for more complex ui work. All open source. No licenses. Thank you
Google! and don't become evil, at least as developers on the bottom
rung you have a choice!
> > Stefan Bacherthttp://gwtworld.de- Hide quoted text -

gcstang

Oct 28, 2010, 11:51:05 AM10/28/10
to Google Web Toolkit
We use it within our company Micros-Retail, we use GWT, SmartGWT, gwt-
log, and gwt-visualizations.
> > > Stefan Bacherthttp://gwtworld.de-Hide quoted text -

Harpal Grover

Oct 28, 2010, 1:11:24 PM10/28/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Ok so it seems like GWT has major use internally for companies, but so
far is not a choice product to build commercial applications for
general consumer use yet. I like the framework as well and hopefully
it can make a push into consumer web applications, not just for
internal corporate use or android phone apps.

> --

Harpal Grover
President
Harpal Grover Consulting Inc

Jeff Schwartz

Oct 28, 2010, 1:40:48 PM10/28/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Corporate applications are some of the most demanding applications that one could develop so if companies are adopting GWT to develop them I think that speaks very highly of it.

Jeff
Jeff

Harpal Grover

Oct 28, 2010, 2:35:59 PM10/28/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Yup definitely does, hopefully it makes headway into mainstream
consumer web use.

Ashton Thomas

Oct 29, 2010, 12:47:53 AM10/29/10
to Google Web Toolkit
My startup company is using GWT (after a lot of research into what
technology to go with for the user facing technology) for commercial
use. However this isn't saying much since the produce isn't released
yet...

On Oct 28, 2:35 pm, Harpal Grover <harpal.gro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yup definitely does, hopefully it makes headway into mainstream
> consumer web use.
>

> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Jeff Schwartz <jefftschwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Corporate applications are some of the most demanding applications that one
> > could develop so if companies are adopting GWT to develop them I think that
> > speaks very highly of it.
>
> > Jeff
>
> > On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Harpal Grover <harpal.gro...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Ok so it seems like GWT has major use internally for companies, but so
> >> far is not a choice product to build commercial applications for
> >> general consumer use yet. I like the framework as well and hopefully
> >> it can make a push into consumer web applications, not just for
> >> internal corporate use or android phone apps.

notcourage

Oct 29, 2010, 12:50:16 PM10/29/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Most C2B apps need to be crawlable. Though google search has a hard-to-
implement way to do this, a hybrid approach will work best:
traditional page generation for the "read only" pages and gwt for
certain "editors". gwt's lack of data binding & field validation make
programming editors inconvenient. (gwt 2.1 has cell binding. To use it
for form fields, it appears one needs to use tables instead of forms.
smart-gwt has sophisticated binding & ext-gwt has some. The gwt google
group hasn't been complementary about these. I tried smart-gwt briefly
but realized a license & support would be very expensive.) gwt is
appealing when client-side processing is preferable to many server
round-trips.

Thomas Broyer

Oct 29, 2010, 3:37:22 PM10/29/10
to Google Web Toolkit

On 29 oct, 18:50, notcourage <klr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Most C2B apps need to be crawlable. Though google search has a hard-to-
> implement way to do this, a hybrid approach will work best:
> traditional page generation for the "read only" pages and gwt for
> certain "editors". gwt's lack of data binding & field validation make
> programming editors inconvenient. (gwt 2.1 has cell binding. To use it
> for form fields, it appears one needs to use tables instead of forms.

Have you looked at Editors?
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideUiEditors.html

Validation is coming (already in trunk, but not released, though
there's part of it in 2.1.0)

Santosh kumar

Nov 16, 2011, 4:44:48 AM11/16/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
My company uses GWT, Objectify, Google App Engine, it is an online accounting application.
www.AccountingGuru.in
Thanks  &  Regards
Santosh Kumar K

Jaroslav Záruba

Nov 16, 2011, 5:43:40 AM11/16/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Process management framework used by a major US bank operating in Central Europe is based on GWT.

Juan Pablo Gardella

Nov 16, 2011, 6:22:53 AM11/16/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Google use GWT.

Deepak Singh

Nov 16, 2011, 9:15:58 AM11/16/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
My company is using GWT, Objectify and google app engine to build a travel search engine which is very interactive to user.
This is in progress yet and soon to be released as www.yatrafinder.com domain name.
Deepak Singh

Christian Goudreau

Nov 16, 2011, 10:03:23 AM11/16/11