Java 7

Magno Machado

Jul 4, 2011, 7:21:05 PM7/4/11
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Java 7 is going to be released in a few days and will introduce some changes on the java syntax

Is there any current work on supporting java 7 syntax on gwt? Will it be available on GWT 2.4?

--
Magno Machado Paulo
http://blog.magnomachado.com.br

Alexander Orlov

Jul 13, 2011, 9:31:02 AM7/13/11
to Google Web Toolkit
On Jul 5, 1:21 am, Magno Machado <magn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any current work on supporting java 7 syntax on gwt? Will it be
> available on GWT 2.4?

I think this question is of general interest. But as nobody replied
yet, I suppose "not" :(

-Alex

Thomas Broyer

Jul 13, 2011, 9:52:42 AM7/13/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Well, GWT uses Eclipse's JDT (a patched version AFAIK), so it would first have to be updated to a version that supports Java 7, and then GWT code updated to support the changes (such as mapping "switch on strings" to the same "switch on strings" construct in JavaScript).
…but Eclipse's JDT support for Java7 is still in beta, so…

Also, GWT added support for Java 5 when Java 1.4 reached EOL, and Java 6 was already released, and GWT does not officially support Java 6 (that's going to change, and a few features are already there, such as @Override on implementations of interface methods, and String#isEmpty); let's hope it'll be faster for Java 7, but don't be too impatient IMO.

Jeff Larsen

Jul 13, 2011, 12:24:53 PM7/13/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Also, GWT added support for Java 5 when Java 1.4 reached EOL, and Java 6 was already released, and GWT does not officially support Java 6 (that's going to change, and a few features are already there, such as @Override on implementations of interface methods, and String#isEmpty); let's hope it'll be faster for Java 7, but don't be too impatient IMO.

Are you sure this is true? I thought 1.6 is supported as of 2.3, but not required. 1.6 will be required in future releases of GWT however (it may be required for 2.3, i'm not sure) but I know commits to trunk are going in with @Override on interface methods, so in order to get stuff to compile 1.6 will be required.

Thomas Broyer

Jul 13, 2011, 1:43:55 PM7/13/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
GWT requiring a Java6 JVM is different from officially supporting Java 6 language features in what the GWT Compiler accepts as input ;-)

(I believe Java 6 is supported –as I said, at least some features already are, for quite some time, and I've almost always been using Java 6 compliance level in Eclipse without any issue–, what I don't know is whether we can call it "official support" for Java 6 –a couple features might not be enough for that claim, or maybe they are?–)

Thomas Broyer

Jul 19, 2011, 5:00:24 AM7/19/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Just stumbled on that:
Note: As of GWT 1.5, GWT compiles the Java language syntax that is compatible with J2SE 1.5 or earlier. Versions of GWT prior to GWT 1.5 are limited to Java 1.4 source compatibility. For example, GWT 2.0 supports generics, whereas GWT 1.4 does not.

And the warning about support for Java 1.5 being deprecated since GWT 2.2 is done by checking at the current JVM: http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/detail?r=9636
This is different from what GWT accepts as input, which then officially doesn't support Java 6 (even though it emulates java.lang.String.isEmpty() and accepts @Override on interface-method's implementations, which makes it practically usable with (most) Java 6 source files).

Brian Slesinsky

Sep 25, 2012, 5:21:26 PM9/25/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
GWT 2.5 rc2 should run on a JDK 7 virtual machine (there was a recent fix to make dev mode work). We've occasionally talked about supporting Java 7 features, but there's no concrete plan or schedule to implement them.

- Brian

On Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:38:28 AM UTC-7, Benjamin Wolff wrote:
Hi,

sorry for gravedigging, but the title of this thread seems suitable.

Since Java 6 reaches its End-Of-Life cycle at the beginning of next year, does the GWT team has concrete plans to support Java 7?

See: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

Cheers,
Ben

Krzysztof Retel

Sep 27, 2012, 5:15:26 AM9/27/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
When does 2.5 rc2 will be available to download?

Thanks,
Krzysztof

Konstantin Solomatov

Oct 1, 2012, 9:59:51 AM10/1/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
And what about JDK8? I think, implementing closures support in GWT makes a lot of sense since you can translate them to native javascript closures.

Seamus McMorrow

Feb 21, 2013, 7:32:44 AM2/21/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry for resurrecting a slightly old thread.
JDK 1.6 is EOL end of this month, so I am thinking of migrating my GWT project to JDK7

I am using GWT 2.5, and wondering if many people are using JDK7 in their GWT projects. Is it okay to do so and if so, what are the gotchas?

Thanks,

Pedro Lamarão

Feb 21, 2013, 8:21:43 AM2/21/13
Em quinta-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2013 09h32min44s UTC-3, Seamus McMorrow escreveu:

Sorry for resurrecting a slightly old thread.
JDK 1.6 is EOL end of this month, so I am thinking of migrating my GWT project to JDK7

I am using GWT 2.5, and wondering if many people are using JDK7 in their GWT projects. Is it okay to do so and if so, what are the gotchas?

We are using JDK7 with GWT -- UiBinder, ClientBundle, GWT-RPC -- and Eclipse 4.2.

No gotchas so far.

--
 P.

Thomas Broyer

Feb 21, 2013, 8:55:24 AM2/21/13

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:32:44 PM UTC+1, Seamus McMorrow wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for resurrecting a slightly old thread.
JDK 1.6 is EOL end of this month, so I am thinking of migrating my GWT project to JDK7

I am using GWT 2.5, and wondering if many people are using JDK7 in their GWT projects. Is it okay to do so and if so, what are the gotchas?

Just make sure you only use Java 6 constructs in your client code (in Eclipse, Project properties → Java Compiler, set “JDK Compliance” to 1.6; in Maven, set “maven.compiler.source” and “maven.compiler.target” to 1.6 or 6).

Max Völkel

Apr 3, 2013, 2:15:03 AM4/3/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
How well does this play together with AppEngine 1.7.7? From their release notes: "The Java runtime now defaults to Java7. If you still need to use the Java6
  runtime, please use the --use_java6 flag when deploying your app. We encourage
  you to move to Java7 as soon as possible."

It sounds I should compile for a 1.7 target. So I should *not* set maven.compiler.source to 1.6, right?

I hope AppEngine and GWT remain compatible. Do you know more on this?

Thomas Broyer

Apr 3, 2013, 4:09:35 AM4/3/13

On Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:15:03 AM UTC+2, Max Völkel wrote:
How well does this play together with AppEngine 1.7.7? From their release notes: "The Java runtime now defaults to Java7. If you still need to use the Java6
  runtime, please use the --use_java6 flag when deploying your app. We encourage
  you to move to Java7 as soon as possible."

It sounds I should compile for a 1.7 target. So I should *not* set maven.compiler.source to 1.6, right?

I don't know how AppEngine's Java runtime works, but my 7 and 8 JREs are very well capable of running classes compiled with -target 1.6 or earlier, and mixing classes compiled with different -target (you'd never be able to use Maven, or pretty much any third-party dependency actually, if that wasn't the case; btw GWT is compiled with -target 1.6 and is fully compatible with a JDK 7, and we haven't yet heard of anyone having issues using RPC or RequestFactory on AppEngine)

Gilberto

Apr 16, 2013, 1:28:17 AM4/16/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
It's just my opinion, but in my mind making the JDK compliance to 1.6 and call that "fully compatible with JDK 7" is not... well... what I was expecting (at least).

I understand that tweaking the compiler to actually and truly support Java 7 is not easy and demand time. But Java 7 is around for ... uh... years? (since July - 2011 according to Wikipedia). I understand that GWT is now handled by a committee, since last year. And still, there's no public roadmap of when we are going to have the real Java 7 support (and I'm not even talking about Java 8). So, eh, am I wrong on asking such things? Should I recommend other frameworks to my teammates for new projects or still wait for news from GWT?

I understand we have to wait till you guys commit the code to Gerrit/GitHub, to organize the project, to mavenize it, to deal with contributors, Google itself and so on. But till when?

Sorry for my impatience, but at this stage I don't really feel comfortable with the situation. Maybe it's only me.

Ed Bras

Apr 16, 2013, 3:12:55 AM4/16/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I invite you to contribute the java support 7. You can do this together with your "teammates"
Why not?

It's all a matter of priorties, vote an issue in the issue tracker and it will get a higher priority
Wouldn't it be nice that you could latter say that you were responsibly for the jdk 7 support in gwt?

stuckagain

Apr 16, 2013, 3:20:39 AM4/16/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Java 6 is still used a lot in enterprise developments, I am actually more looking forward to Java 8 support due to project lambda which could have a very nice impact on readability of all these async operations we tend to chain together in GWT client applications.

Thomas Broyer

Apr 16, 2013, 6:08:19 AM4/16/13

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:28:17 AM UTC+2, Gilberto wrote:
[...]

Java 7 (language) support is coming: https://gwt-review.googlesource.com/2361
Java 8 will have to wait 'til the Eclipse compiler supports it.