eclipse GWT plugin jetty server problem

othman

May 26, 2011, 3:46:22 PM5/26/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

i keep having an issue with GWT eclipse (helios) plugin in Linux box
(opensuse 11.4).

sometimes if i stop the dev mode server and then try "Run as-> web
Application" it gives me the below error. sometimes this doesn't give
error and the dev mode app is started by the gwt eclipse plugin.

maybe the dev mode server remains running for sometime after i stop it
with red button at right of "development mode" view tab. any Idea what
this problem is about?

Starting Jetty on port 8888
Port 127.0.0.1:8888 is already is use; you probably still have another
session active [WARN] failed SelectChann...@127.0.0.1:8888
java.net.BindException: Address already in use
at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Native Method)
at
sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:
137)
at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(ServerSocketAdaptor.java:
77)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.open(SelectChannelConnector.java:
205)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.doStart(SelectChannelConnector.java:
304)
at
org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:
39)
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:233)
at
org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:
39)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.jetty.JettyLauncher.start(JettyLauncher.java:
565)
at com.google.gwt.dev.DevMode.doStartUpServer(DevMode.java:494)
at com.google.gwt.dev.DevModeBase.startUp(DevModeBase.java:1058)
at com.google.gwt.dev.DevModeBase.run(DevModeBase.java:800)
at com.google.gwt.dev.DevMode.main(DevMode.java:304)
[WARN] failed Server@1f34a6
[...]
[ERROR] shell failed in doStartupServer method

Juan Pablo Gardella

May 26, 2011, 4:02:59 PM5/26/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
The error "java.net.BindException: Address already in use" indicate that you have a process that are listening in this port.

othman

May 26, 2011, 4:52:26 PM5/26/11
to Google Web Toolkit
there are no other processes i believe. how can i know which processes
are listening to this address? i'm using linux.

On May 26, 9:02 pm, Juan Pablo Gardella <gardellajuanpa...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> The error "java.net.BindException: Address already in use" indicate that you
> have a process that are listening in this port.
>
> 2011/5/26 othman <othmanelmou...@gmail.com>
>

> > Hi,
>
> > i keep having an issue with GWT eclipse (helios) plugin in Linux box
> > (opensuse 11.4).
>
> > sometimes if i stop the dev mode server and then try "Run as-> web
> > Application" it gives me the below error. sometimes this doesn't give
> > error and the dev mode app is started by the gwt eclipse plugin.
>
> > maybe the dev mode server remains running for sometime after i stop it
> > with red button at right of "development mode" view tab. any Idea what
> > this problem is about?
>
> > Starting Jetty on port 8888
> > Port 127.0.0.1:8888 is already is use; you probably still have another
> > session active   [WARN] failed SelectChannelConnec...@127.0.0.1:8888

othman

May 26, 2011, 5:09:02 PM5/26/11
to Google Web Toolkit
probably this command : $sudo netstat --tcp --udp --listening --
program
But why sometimes the port is free and app can run whether sometimes
the port is not? this is a strange behavior maybe related to eclipse
gwt plugin?

Alan Chaney

May 26, 2011, 5:12:51 PM5/26/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Try running:

ps alx | grep java

and carefully check that the jetty server has shut down properly.
Sometimes a bug can stop the server shutting down, and thus the port
appears to be still in use when you try and start another instance.

HTH

Alan

othman

May 26, 2011, 5:57:21 PM5/26/11
to Google Web Toolkit
thanks.
could the gwt eclipse plugin developers team check with us if this is
a known bug for the gwt eclipse plugin in Linux? does anyone
experience this same problem?

thanks

Thomas Broyer

May 26, 2011, 6:14:49 PM5/26/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

othman El Moulat

May 26, 2011, 6:29:39 PM5/26/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
thank you this has given one method that solves the problem "automatically select unused port"