Works on hosted mode but failed on Tomcat

Jethro

Aug 18, 2009, 5:17:07 PM8/18/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

When I deployed my application on the server, I found something very
odd. One service is failed. I don't think it's the RPC's problem. Here
is the error message

Aug 18, 2009 5:13:53 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext
log
SEVERE: Exception while dispatching incoming RPC call
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.UnexpectedException: Service method
'public abstract com.bashpole.mpp.model.UserEntity
com.bashpole.mpp.client.rpcGwt.UserRemote.merge
(com.bashpole.mpp.model.UserEntity,int)' threw an unexpected
exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/digester/
Digester
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPCCopy_GWT15.encodeResponseForFailure
(RPCCopy_GWT15.java:348)
at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPCCopy.encodeResponseForFailure
(RPCCopy.java:173)
at net.sf.gilead.gwt.PersistentRemoteService.processCall
(PersistentRemoteService.java:164)
at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.doPost
(RemoteServiceServlet.java:86)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke
(StandardContextValve.java:191)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke
(StandardHostValve.java:128)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke
(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke
(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service
(CoyoteAdapter.java:286)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process
(Http11Processor.java:845)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol
$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:
447)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/digester/
Digester
at
com.bashpole.meetPeoplePlaces.server.crawler.scraper.kmlparser.KmlParser.<init>
(KmlParser.java:79)
at
com.bashpole.meetPeoplePlaces.server.crawler.scraper.kmlparser.AddressCleaner.<init>
(AddressCleaner.java:88)
at com.bashpole.mpp.server.util.MPPServerUtil.lookUpLatLng
(MPPServerUtil.java:48)
at com.bashpole.mpp.server.util.MPPServerUtil.updateGeocode
(MPPServerUtil.java:17)
at com.bashpole.mpp.server.rpcGwt.UserRemoteProcessImpl.merge
(UserRemoteProcessImpl.java:163)
at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPCCopy_GWT15.invoke
(RPCCopy_GWT15.java:563)
at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPCCopy.invoke(RPCCopy.java:134)
at net.sf.gilead.gwt.PersistentRemoteService.processCall
(PersistentRemoteService.java:149)
... 15 more
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester
at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass
(WebappClassLoader.java:1387)
at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass
(WebappClassLoader.java:1233)
... 27 more

Is there anyone here that has any idea what's going on?

Sumit Chandel

Aug 21, 2009, 1:46:37 PM8/21/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jethro,

Compare the hosted mode launch configuration classpath to the libraries that you've deployed with your application on Tomcat to see if there are any missing libraries, specifically the one containing the org.apache.digest.Digester class.

I also noticed that you're using the Gilead project. There are differences between the libraries you need at compile-time and in production, so I suggest you consult the Gilead documentation (link below) to make sure that you've met all the libraries that need to be present in both modes and haven't included extra libraries that may not be needed for deployment.

Gilead project dependencies:

Hope that helps,
-Sumit Chandel