getting: "failed to load module" "development shell for details" shell then hangs

irc1258

Aug 1, 2008, 9:38:06 AM8/1/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Periodically, when I try to start my app with the development shell, a
dialog pops up saying "failed to load module....see development shell
log for details". At this point, unfortunately, the shell hangs and I
have to kill it, so I am unable to see the log. However, after I kill
the shell, the next time I try to bring up the shell, it comes up
successfully. Any ideas? I'm using 1.5RC1. Thanks

Isaac Truett

Aug 1, 2008, 9:40:14 AM8/1/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Out of memory?

irc1258

Aug 4, 2008, 10:27:35 AM8/4/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Logical guess, but I'm guessing that this isn't the problem, because
the problem often appears, like it did just now, upon a fresh reboot
of my computer and immediately upon invoking the dev shell for the
very first time.
> > successfully. Any ideas? I'm using 1.5RC1. Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Isaac Truett

Aug 4, 2008, 10:49:23 AM8/4/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
That doesn't rule out OOM. How much memory do you have allocated to
the hosted mode JVM? Have you tried raising it?

irc1258

Aug 4, 2008, 2:44:57 PM8/4/08
to Google Web Toolkit
I had -Xmx512M. I just upped it to -Xmx768M. Will let you know if
the change helps. Thanks!

irc1258

Aug 4, 2008, 3:59:09 PM8/4/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Didn't help. Still having this problem intermittantly. 768M should be
plenty - right?

Isaac Truett

Aug 4, 2008, 8:56:59 PM8/4/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Probably enough, yes. It would really help to know what the log has to
say. I'm assuming the hosted mode browser comes up over top of the log
window and switching to the log causes it to hang before it paints the
log message - correct? Perhaps you could change the HTML page
parameter to a non-existent file, start hosted mode (which will fail
to load the page) then move the windows around so you can see both at
the same time, fix the URL in the browser window, and then reproduce
the error while the log window is still visible? I'm really reaching
now, but I don't see a practical way to proceed without more insight
into the problem.

irc1258

Aug 5, 2008, 12:18:17 PM8/5/08
to Google Web Toolkit
I managed to get the stacktrace:

[ERROR] Unable to load module entry point class
com.embarq.cet.client.CETModule (see associated exception for details)
com.google.gwt.core.client.JavaScriptException: (TypeError): 'null' is
null or not an object
number: -2146823281
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.invokeNative(ModuleSpace.java:
443)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.invokeNativeVoid(ModuleSpace.java:
235)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.JavaScriptHost.invokeNativeVoid(JavaScriptHost.java:
107)
at com.gwtext.client.widgets.Viewport.<init>(Viewport.java:64)
at com.embarq.cet.client.CETModule.onModuleLoad(CETModule.java:12)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.onLoad(ModuleSpace.java:303)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserWidget.attachModuleSpace(BrowserWidget.java:
324)
at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.BrowserWidgetIE6.access
$200(BrowserWidgetIE6.java:37)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.BrowserWidgetIE6$External.gwtOnLoad(BrowserWidgetIE6.java:
71)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.BrowserWidgetIE6$External.invoke(BrowserWidgetIE6.java:
128)
at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.IDispatchImpl.Invoke(IDispatchImpl.java:
294)

Any ideas? Thanks

irc1258

Aug 5, 2008, 3:48:01 PM8/5/08
to Google Web Toolkit
I may have this solved. Looks like there was a bogus entry in my html
page.

On Aug 5, 11:18 am, irc1258 <chuck.r.irv...@embarq.com> wrote:
> I managed to get the stacktrace:
>
> [ERROR] Unable to load module entry point class
> com.embarq.cet.client.CETModule (see associated exception for details)
> com.google.gwt.core.client.JavaScriptException: (TypeError): 'null' is
> null or not an object
>  number: -2146823281
>         at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.invokeNative(ModuleSpace.java:
> 443)
>         at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.invokeNativeVoid(ModuleSpace.java:
> 235)
>         at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.JavaScriptHost.invokeNativeVoid(JavaScriptHost.jav­a:
> 107)
>         at com.gwtext.client.widgets.Viewport.<init>(Viewport.java:64)
>         at com.embarq.cet.client.CETModule.onModuleLoad(CETModule.java:12)
>         at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.onLoad(ModuleSpace.java:303)
>         at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserWidget.attachModuleSpace(BrowserWidget.java­:
> 324)
>         at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.BrowserWidgetIE6.access
> $200(BrowserWidgetIE6.java:37)
>         at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.BrowserWidgetIE6$External.gwtOnLoad(BrowserWidg­etIE6.java:
> 71)
>         at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ie.BrowserWidgetIE6$External.invoke(BrowserWidgetI­E6.java:

Isaac Truett

Aug 6, 2008, 8:11:56 AM8/6/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Ah. That looks like the JS equivalent of a NullPointerException. Glad
you've got it working!