GWT 2.7.0 is here

Daniel Kurka

Nov 20, 2014, 5:59:06 AM11/20/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Today we are excited to announce the GWT 2.7.0 release.  Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release, especially our non-Google open source contributors.

One major feature of this release is a new super fast compilation path in Super Dev mode that replaces the old dev mode.
For a run-down of all changes since GWT 2.6.1, read the release notes.

The release is available for download here or on maven central.

If you find any issues with this release, please file a bug in our issue tracker.

Daniel,
on behalf of the GWT team at Google

Juan Pablo Gardella

Nov 20, 2014, 6:12:22 AM11/20/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!!

Luca Morettoni

Nov 20, 2014, 6:19:57 AM11/20/14
to google-web-toolkit
Well done Daniel (and all the GWT developer community)!! Proud to have
met you in Firenze!
--
Luca Morettoni <luca(AT)morettoni.net> | http://www.morettoni.net
http://it.linkedin.com/in/morettoni/ | http://twitter.com/morettoni

Luca

Nov 20, 2014, 7:19:00 AM11/20/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Waiting for Maven Central......

Jens

Nov 20, 2014, 7:40:39 AM11/20/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Waiting for Maven Central......

Maven search website just doesn't reveal it yet.

-- J.

Christoph Henrici

Nov 20, 2014, 8:21:31 AM11/20/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Great!!! Excited to get to try JSInterop , albeit experimential

Luca

Nov 20, 2014, 8:36:49 AM11/20/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Now it's there, when I tried Maven build failed.

Thank you, now I want to test all my projects :)

Saiki Tanabe

Nov 20, 2014, 8:59:06 AM11/20/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! Wov it really compiles fast after the first compilation. This really makes a difference in development. In small change Sketchboard.io used to take 5 - 6 seconds to compile and now it takes little bit over a 1 second, I am impressed.

Saiki

--
http://sketchboard.io - Make a complex problem simple together. Sketch.

apanizo

Nov 20, 2014, 9:14:15 AM11/20/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Fantástico!

Tom Legrand

Nov 20, 2014, 11:16:25 AM11/20/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Great news! We're going to switch to 2.7 in our next sprint
Great to see it compiles even faster in the super dev mode

Ali Akhtar

Nov 20, 2014, 11:34:41 AM11/20/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I've just updated to 2.7.0 through maven, and each time I run it, the browser gets stuck on the 'Compiling [ModuleName]' screen. In chrome's console, I see this error:

 Uncaught ReferenceError: moduleName is not defined :9876/ModuleName/ModuleName.recompile.nocache.js:349

I've tried stopping and restarting a few times, no luck.

Any ideas?

Prashant

Nov 21, 2014, 7:12:43 AM11/21/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. We are switching to 2.7 in our next release.

Prashant,

Drew Spencer

Nov 21, 2014, 1:59:00 PM11/21/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Thanks so much to all the guys working on this. You are legends.

Quick question - has anyone had any problems with deploying to appengine using the maven-gae-plugin? I tried a couple of times with 2.7rc1 and when I tried to load the deployed version it seemed to be looking for the dev mode server.

Am I missing a parameter or something like that?

Cheers

Drew

Jens

Nov 21, 2014, 3:14:09 PM11/21/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Quick question - has anyone had any problems with deploying to appengine using the maven-gae-plugin? I tried a couple of times with 2.7rc1 and when I tried to load the deployed version it seemed to be looking for the dev mode server.

Maybe you accidentally deployed the <module>.nocache.js file produced by DevMode/SDM ?

-- J.

Peter Ondruška

Nov 22, 2014, 9:55:59 AM11/22/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks but still no update on Eclipse update site (as mentioned in http://www.gwtproject.org/download.html). And fix the wording on the same page: "The Google Plugin for Eclipse provides IDE support for the GWT and App Engine web projects, and includes a lightweight version of GWT Designer". GWT Designed has gone.

Drew Spencer

Nov 24, 2014, 3:56:02 AM11/24/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I'm really not sure. I just run mvn gae:deploy which runs my tests, compiles if needed and then completes the interaction with the server.

If I deploy using 2.6.1 it's fine, it's just a bit annoying as I have to do a total clean time I switch between 2.7 and 2.6.1.

Meh

Drew Spencer

Nov 24, 2014, 4:01:28 AM11/24/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, in my <appDir> I have a project.nocache.js and a project.devmode.js. Not sure If I can exclude them though as they are generated at compile time aren't they?

Surely I can't be the only one with this problem?

Drew

Pavel Kakolin

Nov 24, 2014, 9:55:23 AM11/24/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Looks like new GWT requires much more memory to compile applications. Eg. after switching to 2.7, almost every build of our application on buildagents with 32 bit java8 with -Xmx1440m fails with OOM (native).

jaga

Nov 24, 2014, 6:17:56 PM11/24/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I noticed it needs double the memory. Also the -port parameter does not seem to work in Eclipse. Finally, and most importantly, I could not get the source maps to work. They don't appear in chrome dev tools. I had it all working in 2.6.1.

Drew Spencer

Nov 25, 2014, 4:49:32 AM11/25/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I find the source maps works sometimes, but sometimes not. I've heard other say the same as well. Haven't been able to reproduce it with any level of consistency either so who knows what's causing it!

James Wendel

Dec 4, 2014, 9:53:22 AM12/4/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to say thank you to the entire GWT team for this release.  Incremental compiling for SDM has made it where we can use it at my company and it's seems great in my initial testing on it.  Being able to reload a page instantly when there are no changes (or only a few seconds to reload when there are changes) is awesome.  I really appreciate the work the GWT team has done.

Thanks,
-James

Zied Hamdi

Jan 1, 2015, 5:32:01 AM1/1/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

These are good news, the bad news is the fact that we won't be able to use eclipse with all its developement shortcutted features (source navigation, breakpoint and bookmark management, tasks, etc...). The solution is an eclipse plugin that will read the sourcemap and display/communicate with the browser to dispatch debug events. The good news is that there's already on project doing this, but the bémol is that the sourcemap spec is leaking some vital information: see this bug for example https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sdbg/Ku3WWrdtKis

Do you think GWT can allocate some of the energy they were spending in the browser plugin to fix this kind of issues?

I just want to underline that GWT's success was: develop in Java and run in the browser. Now there's a big piece of the "develop in java" that was cut off: debugging and source navigation while running. So it's the heart of the spirit of GWT that has been touched with the superDevMode

Unless the strategy is to migrate projects towards dart and drop GWT out, I think this feature is vital for the success of GWT to keep going

malcolm.davis

Jan 14, 2015, 11:51:14 AM1/14/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I still see only 2.6.0 SDK as the latest version from the https://dl.google.com/eclipse/plugin/4.4 update site in eclipse, and it is now mid January.  Is this going to be updated?  Or is there a problem at my end?  And if the latter, what is the fix?  Thanks.

Thomas Broyer

Jan 14, 2015, 5:42:29 PM1/14/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Distribution as an Eclipse plugin is managed by the Google Plugin for Eclipse team, ask them on their group or report on their issue tracker (sorry, don't have the links at the moment).

If you want the latest and greatest, download the zip file and configure it in Eclipse.
…or move to a build tool with managed dependencies (Ivy, Gradle, Maven, etc.) that'll download jars from Maven Central.

Davis, Malcolm

Jan 14, 2015, 5:49:43 PM1/14/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary, privileged and/or private information. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity designated above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the message and any attachments. Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this message or any attachments by an individual or entity other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

Dave Dumaresq

Jan 22, 2015, 3:26:55 PM1/22/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Why isn't this available from the Eclipse update site (luna)? For that matter I can't find 2.6.1 there either.

Dave

Thomas Broyer

Jan 23, 2015, 12:15:23 PM1/23/15

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 9:26:55 PM UTC+1, Dave Dumaresq wrote:
Why isn't this available from the Eclipse update site (luna)? For that matter I can't find 2.6.1 there either.

Ali Akhtar

Feb 6, 2015, 9:22:37 AM2/6/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
There appears to be a bug in autobean deserialization in 2.7.0 : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-web-toolkit/RzsjqX2gGd4

showlong

Feb 17, 2015, 5:33:24 PM2/17/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

I tried to use GWT 2.7 SDM with Tomcat server. From Eclipse, I launched our app launcher file used to work with GWT 2.6 Dev mode, and so now with GWT2.7 it becomes SDM by default.
The initial compilation is OK and code server starts fine and our app web server (using GWT RPC) starts fine. But when I tried to load from Chrome, the page is empty and the console said cannot load module nocache.js file. I searched the issue and found a old post with workaround to point the moudule nocache.js file to code server instead of the web server: https://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=8886

But then I need to use "Dev on" bookmarklet to recompile it and I need to force to set one permutation properties on the gwt.xml file.
Does anyone have this issue or know how to fix it so that I can fully use GWT 2.7 SDM without these workarounds to refresh browser to recompile the code?

Jens

Feb 17, 2015, 6:54:35 PM2/17/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

I tried to use GWT 2.7 SDM with Tomcat server. From Eclipse, I launched our app launcher file used to work with GWT 2.6 Dev mode, and so now with GWT2.7 it becomes SDM by default.
The initial compilation is OK and code server starts fine and our app web server (using GWT RPC) starts fine. But when I tried to load from Chrome, the page is empty and the console said cannot load module nocache.js file. I searched the issue and found a old post with workaround to point the moudule nocache.js file to code server instead of the web server: https://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=8886

The above also means that if you build a production version of your app you should first clean that folder again so you do not accidentally deploy a generated <module>.nocache.js file into production that was actually meant to be used with SDM only.

-- J.

showlong

Feb 18, 2015, 12:46:55 PM2/18/15

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 3:54:35 PM UTC-8, Jens wrote:

The above also means that if you build a production version of your app you should first clean that folder again so you do not accidentally deploy a generated <module>.nocache.js file into production that was actually meant to be used with SDM only.

-- J.

Thanks for your info. I clean the war/client dir and then launch SDM but still the launch page http://127.0.0.1:8888/module.html still cannot load client/module.nocache.js file although the module.nocache.js file is really under war/client/module.nocache.js. This is Tomcat server, does SDM create other server than Jetty different?
I did a test to manually rename the module.nocache.js to module-nocache.js file and upate module.htmi to load client/module-nocache.js file, it works. How come?

Jens

Feb 18, 2015, 2:42:18 PM2/18/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your info. I clean the war/client dir and then launch SDM but still the launch page http://127.0.0.1:8888/module.html still cannot load client/module.nocache.js file although the module.nocache.js file is really under war/client/module.nocache.js. This is Tomcat server, does SDM create other server than Jetty different?

If you use Tomcat then you launch DevMode -noserver -war <exploded war folder> which tells GWT to not start the Jetty server provided by GWT. Instead GWT assumes that you deploy <exploded war folder> yourself using whatever server you like.

DevMode -noserver -war <exploded war folder> is the same as CodeServer -launcherDir <exploded war folder> . Both just start the SDM code server and don't care about deploying your server side code.

I did a test to manually rename the module.nocache.js to module-nocache.js file and upate module.htmi to load client/module-nocache.js file, it works. How come?

 No idea. Most likely there is something strange with your setup.

-- J.

showlong

Feb 18, 2015, 3:35:02 PM2/18/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

If you use Tomcat then you launch DevMode -noserver -war <exploded war folder> which tells GWT to not start the Jetty server provided by GWT. Instead GWT assumes that you deploy <exploded war folder> yourself using whatever server you like.

DevMode -noserver -war <exploded war folder> is the same as CodeServer -launcherDir <exploded war folder> . Both just start the SDM code server and don't care about deploying your server side code.

I do  DevMode -server <TomcatLauncher>. The Tomcat server services GWT RPC. Does that make any difference?

showlong

Feb 19, 2015, 3:12:22 PM2/19/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

I did a test to manually rename the module.nocache.js to module-nocache.js file and upate module.htmi to load client/module-nocache.js file, it works. How come?

 No idea. Most likely there is something strange with your setup.

-- J.

I found the issue is our Tomcat server is looking for moudule.nocache.js.zip file which is not auto generated by the codeserver. This recompile-reqester embedded module.nocache.js missed a gz version.

Jiyuan Zheng

Mar 10, 2015, 12:13:40 PM3/10/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

when will eclipse version of SDK be released?

Raj

Apr 7, 2015, 4:02:57 AM4/7/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
hi ...
this is raj i have some problem to the extension of  GWT plug in chrome i already install that extension  GWT Developer Plugin 1.0.11357 but when i run the GWT program  it will gives the message like

Development Mode requires the GWT Developer Plugin

By downloading, you agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

For help or troubleshooting, ask questions in the discussion group.

what i do help me thanks in advance

Jens

Apr 7, 2015, 4:13:56 AM4/7/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
The plugin does not work anymore in new versions of Chrome. Use SuperDevMode instead which does not require a browser plugin or install an older browser again.

-- J.

rakesh pabbathi

Apr 21, 2015, 9:36:07 AM4/21/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel
how to i convert my application which is in 2.3 version to 2.7 ? plz provide me some steps to convert the version to 2.7.

Ed

Apr 24, 2015, 5:58:03 AM4/24/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
| how to i convert my application which is in 2.3 version to 2.7 ? plz provide me some steps to convert the version to 2.7.
As far as I know: there is no migration "guide".
Just switch to 2.7 and start resolving the compiler errors. It will probably cost you more time in this forum then solving the compiler errors. There aren't soo many for your switch...

If you want to go in to theorie preparation: see the release notes.

lukaslokf...@gmail.com

May 12, 2015, 4:06:55 PM5/12/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
great tool. but why do you stop support for linux? is there a way to develop with GWT under linux???

Michael Joyner

May 12, 2015, 4:11:58 PM5/12/15
On 05/12/2015 03:36 PM, lukaslokf...@gmail.com wrote:
> great tool. but why do you stop support for linux? is there a way to
> develop with GWT under linux???

Huh?

I for one only develop using Linux ...

Alex Sanz

Jul 30, 2015, 4:51:44 AM7/30/15
to Google Web Toolkit, dank...@google.com
Hi, it's awesome.
On september I will migrate for 2.5.1 to 2.7.0 but i wonder if do you have a scheduler for the next stable release? for go to the next on september?

Thanks a lot for your awesome work.

Alex Sanz

DC

Aug 6, 2015, 2:45:36 PM8/6/15
to Google Web Toolkit
Thumbs up!!!

John Malpas

Aug 20, 2015, 6:03:13 PM8/20/15
to Google Web Toolkit
Hello,

I'm repsonsible for @ 50 GWT web apps. I develop
on Windows 7 on a command line, and the apps run
on a commercial Linux server.
Last month (July 2015) I switched from 2.6 to 2.7.
I small thing I noticed right away was that the deliverable file
sizes for 2.7 were uniformly slightly bigger, between 2 and 5%.
But the problem I'm having with 2.7 is when I put out
a newer version of a web app that has already been
loaded into a users' browser.

On the server, the update times for all relevant files (.html, .css,
.js etc.) are set to one week. So if there is a new version of a
web app, users will typically get it within a week. For users who
ask for the latest version right away, I would tell them to
force refresh the browser page.For 2.6 and earlier, this worked reliably
on all browsers I tested (IE Firefox and Chrome on Windows, Firefox
and Chrome on Mac, Chrome on Android). With 2.7, it works sometimes,
but there have been several occasions where I asked the user to
refresh to get the latest version, they did, and they ended up with a dead page.
In other words, the GWT javascript page of the page did not load at all.
Faced with that, I have to tell users to delete their browsing history, and
try again (-- I never had to resort to that extreme step before 2.7).

Faced with that, I decided to go back to 2.6 today, and the problem completely
went away. I asked the same users who ended up with dead pages from the 2.7
version to refresh again to the just published 2.6 version, and the app worked
right away, no problem.

Thomas Broyer

Aug 21, 2015, 1:55:40 AM8/21/15
to Google Web Toolkit
2.7 shipped with a bug regarding the mtime of the nocache.js file. Does it work better if you "touch" the file before you deploy it?

mseele

Sep 3, 2015, 4:38:40 AM9/3/15
to Google Web Toolkit
When will GWT 2.7.1 be released? We cannot use 2.7.0 cause of the "nocache.js"-bug but whould like to upgrade from 2.6.1...

wade...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2015, 6:26:41 PM12/10/15
to GWT Users
I have installed GPE with GWT 2.7 into Eclipse Luna 4.4. Everything works fine.
However, for some reason I have to downgrade JDK from 1.7 to 1.6. After downgrading, the GWT plugin doesn't work anymore.
Does anyone know if GWT 2.7 supports JDK 1.6?

David Dumaresq

Dec 10, 2015, 10:56:37 PM12/10/15
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
it sounds like you may have an older version of the gwt-servlet.jar or gwt-user.jar somewhere in your classpath. check your server lib or web-inf/lib.

dave
---
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
William Butler Yeats

Thomas Broyer

Dec 11, 2015, 4:01:00 AM12/11/15
to GWT Users
GWT 2.7 works with Java 6, but IIRC the GPE (either Google Plugin for Eclipse or GWT Plugin for Eclipse) requires Java 7; i.e. you need to launch Eclipse with a JRE 7, but then you should be able to pick a JDK 6 for your project and it should work (AFAICT)

wade...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2015, 1:55:30 PM12/11/15
to GWT Users
Thanks Thomas. I have tried your solution. I installed the GPE with Java 7 first. Then I selected jre 1.6 in the build path. However, I got an JVM Launcher error "Main class is not found in com.google.appengine.tools.enhancer.Enhance". Looks like this enhancer does not support java 1.6. I disabled this in the eclipse. But it still has problem. Do you know how to solve this issue?