Performance degrades on IE6

Adrian Bosworth

Feb 15, 2007, 3:30:14 PM2/15/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi All,
I am experiencing a fairly rapid performance degradation in my
application on IE 6. My first thought was this must be a memory leak,
but GWT is designed to handle most of the common JavaScript memory
leak issues, and I am not using JSNI which is the one case that could
have caused a problem.

I used the Drip profiler (http://outofhanwell.com/ieleak/index.php?
title=Main_Page) to try to guage what was going on but that left me
none-the-wiser since my application and every other application I have
tested in it (the GWT samples, http://examples.roughian.com/, http://
www.gwtwindowmanager.org) seem to constantly grow in both memory and
DOM Element usage.

So the first question is... does anybody have any insight into what
the Drip profiler is actually showing me? Should I expect that the
DOM Element count continues to rise with every action? At what point
should I expect to see garbage collection kicking in and the Element
count fall?

The second question, does anybody have a good strategy for tracking
down the cause of the performance degradation?

thanks in advance,
Adrian.