StackOverflowError with OOPHM GWTCompiler

Thad

Oct 14, 2008, 12:02:29 PM10/14/08
to Google Web Toolkit
I'm running GWT OOPHM, which I most recently downloaded and build from
the main branch yesterday, Oct 14th. I'm running on SuSE Linux 10.3
(2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP) and Java 1.6_10

For the most part, the OOPHM behaves correctly. However, when I
attempt to build my admittedly large application, GWTCompiler throws a
StackOverflowError, producing a trace of over 1000 lines (the few of
which are shown below).

Smaller apps build fine with OOPHM's GWTCompiler, and this large app
builds fine with GWT 1.5.2.

What can I do to troubleshoot this or provide folks with more info on
it?

Compiling module com.optix.web.Workstation
[ERROR] Unexpected internal compiler error
java.lang.StackOverflowError
at java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.poll(ReferenceQueue.java:82)
at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.processQueue(ObjectStreamClass.java:
2234)
at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.lookup(ObjectStreamClass.java:266)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1106)
at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.defaultWriteFields(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1509)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeSerialData(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1474)
at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeOrdinaryObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1392)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1150)
at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.defaultWriteFields(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1509)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeSerialData(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1474)
at
java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeOrdinaryObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1392)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(ObjectOutputStream.java:
1150)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(ObjectOutputStream.java:
326)
at java.util.ArrayList.writeObject(ArrayList.java:570)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor56.invoke(Unknown Source)
at
25)

Dominik Steiner

Oct 16, 2008, 1:36:41 PM10/16/08
to Google Web Toolkit
I get the same StackOverflowError but on a version build from the
1.5.2 trunk on the 30th of September.

I also have a big application and I get that error when i'm launching
the GWT shell and then try to Compile/Browse. (on Windows XP SP2)

On a mac leopard machine with the same build for mac I don't get this
error.

I understand that we are on the bloody edge when building from gwt
trunk but perhaps some GWT guys have an estimate on when a new release
is due?

Thanks

Dominik

On 14 Okt., 10:02, Thad <thad.humphr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running GWT OOPHM, which I most recently downloaded and build from
> the main branch yesterday, Oct 14th. I'm running on SuSE Linux 10.3
> (2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP) and Java 1.6_10
>
> For the most part, the OOPHM behaves correctly. However, when I
> attempt to build my admittedly large application, GWTCompiler throws aStackOverflowError, producing a trace of over 1000 lines (the few of

Jason Essington

Oct 16, 2008, 3:06:48 PM10/16/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
are you guys increasing the stack space for the compiler? -Xmx and -
Xms jvm args?

-jason

Isaac Truett

Oct 16, 2008, 3:10:58 PM10/16/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Jason's suggestion of increasing stack space is a good one, but he probably meant -Xss (-Xmx is heap space).

Dominik Steiner

Oct 16, 2008, 3:44:59 PM10/16/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
i tried with

-Xmx724M -Xss32M

and it still produced the same error. i have the feeling that it might be a bug in the windows distribution from the gwt trunk?

Dominik

Thad

Oct 16, 2008, 4:25:28 PM10/16/08
to Google Web Toolkit
That worked for me: -Xss64m

Thanks.

On Oct 16, 3:10 pm, "Isaac Truett" <itru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jason's suggestion of increasing stack space is a good one, but he probably
> meant -Xss (-Xmx is heap space).
>
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Jason Essington

Jason Essington

Oct 17, 2008, 10:24:50 AM10/17/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
My Bad, usually it is heap that is bound up in GWT when projects get bigger, so -Xmx is the solution. Must be something new in trunk, but yeah, increase the stack and see what happens.

-jason