Stack Overflow on Compile, 1.6M1 & M2

Brian

Mar 8, 2009, 7:32:00 PM3/8/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Can anyone point me in a direction to look as to how I could have
caused this stack overflow? I'm using 1.6M2, but basically the same
thing happens with a slightly different stack in 1.6M1. That's it
doing?Works fine in Hosted Mode, but when I hit "Compile/Browse" I
get:

[ERROR] Unexpected internal compiler error
java.lang.StackOverflowError: null
at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException.<init>(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor57.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectStreamClass.invokeWriteObject(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeSerialData(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeOrdinaryObject(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.defaultWriteFields(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeSerialData(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeOrdinaryObject(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject0(Unknown Source)
at java.io.ObjectOutputStream.writeObject(Unknown Source)
at java.util.ArrayList.writeObject(Unknown Source)
[...]
[... repeats ...]

Alexandre Walter Pretyman

Mar 9, 2009, 9:05:14 AM3/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit
I had the same, so I increased the stack size and it never happened
again so far.

This page, http://www.caucho.com/resin/doc/jvm-tuning.xtp , will give
you the arguments to increase stack size and heap size (if you get any
out of memory errors)

Brian

Mar 9, 2009, 9:32:27 AM3/9/09
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks. I increased the stack to 4k, and now I can compile.

Because the stack trace had the same pattern over and over, I assumed
there was some code that was causing the compiler to enter into a
loop, and eventually overflow the stack. But it seems not -- it just
needed more stack space.