Elemental2 - What's the big secret?

Alex White

Jun 16, 2016, 3:28:39 AM6/16/16
to GWT Contributors
Just wondering where the source code is and why it has not been published before a major release for an allegedly open source project. Is the big secret that it won't be published?

Leif Åstrand

Jun 16, 2016, 7:13:33 AM6/16/16
to GWT Contributors
Elemental 2 is a completely new project that is being developed internally by Google, but their intention is to publish it as open source once the maturity of the code matches their internal threshold.

Julien Dramaix

Jun 16, 2016, 8:20:26 AM6/16/16
to GWT Contributors
Elemental is not secret, it is not ready yet...

Stay tuned, in few days we should push an experimental version of elemental using JsInterop new specification.

- Julien

Ray Cromwell

Jun 16, 2016, 4:28:08 PM6/16/16
to GWT Contributors

With these kinds of purely code generated APIs, I'd say trying to consume it during development is not very useful. Every small change can lead to a radical change in hundreds of interfaces output, so your app would likely to be broken frequently, and with big migration costs each time. It makes sense to wait until it stabilized a lot.

Paul Stockley

Thomas Broyer

Jun 17, 2016, 11:18:14 AM6/17/16
to GWT Contributors

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 4:15:00 PM UTC+2, Paul Stockley wrote:
The question I have is more general. What will the scope of Elemental 2 be? Will it include collections and json support like elemental or will it be just an interface to browser API's?

With https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/issues/9365 (not sure what it actually means though, I might be wrong) and https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/issues/9364, I don't think you'd need elemental.json anymore (given that String, Double and Boolean directly map to JS String, Number and Boolean). The former might also remove the need for elemental.util "collections".

Goktug Gokdogan

Jun 17, 2016, 3:40:06 PM6/17/16
to google-web-toolkit-contributors
Elemental2 is purely generated; doesn't have handrolled collection/json APIs. It uses closure extern files so you can investigate what will be available checking here:

Ray Cromwell

Jun 17, 2016, 4:29:30 PM6/17/16
to google-web-toolkit-contributors
Because Double, Boolean can now be used to get raw primitive numbers
and booleans as object references, the basic JS collections will work
out of the box.

The Elemental1 collections had one additional benefit in the sense
that there were pure-JRE implementations of interfaces. I don't think
Elemental2 will have interfaces for Array and Map, so it might be
worse exploring that, just so that someone can make JRE-only
implementations incase they want to write utility code upstream that
can run in either environment.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-web-toolkit-contributors/CAN%3DyUA08kebjZFpcya%3DUz_FvJO6tXx0rjTZfq8qX9CkFOycjww%40mail.gmail.com.

Paul Stockley

Jun 19, 2016, 10:28:15 PM6/19/16
to GWT Contributors
Looking at #9365, it looks like this is to enable Java collections to be used in an API that is exposed to JS. The JS code could then use the collections using a subset of the Java API. As apposed to making the Java Collections look like native Java arrays for example.

Alex White

Oct 11, 2016, 5:43:24 PM10/11/16
to GWT Contributors

Elemental 2 is a completely new project that is being developed internally by Google, but their intention is to publish it as open source once the maturity of the code matches their internal threshold.

Just curious if this is still going to see the light of day? What's the point in having an open source project if other engineers can't contribute?

Goktug Gokdogan

Oct 11, 2016, 7:59:40 PM10/11/16
to google-web-toolkit-contributors
Elemental 2 is based on a generator and the generator is in active development and constantly changing. I don't think it is feasible to get any contributions at this stage. Since we cannot get contributions and there is an overhead to make it available outside, we chose to release it after more maturity.  I know it is not an ideal but more of a practical choice.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Alex White <alexwh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Elemental 2 is a completely new project that is being developed internally by Google, but their intention is to publish it as open source once the maturity of the code matches their internal threshold.

Just curious if this is still going to see the light of day? What's the point in having an open source project if other engineers can't contribute?

Alex White

Oct 11, 2016, 9:38:46 PM10/11/16
to GWT Contributors
On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 9:59:40 AM UTC+10, Goktug Gokdogan wrote:
Elemental 2 is based on a generator and the generator is in active development and constantly changing. I don't think it is feasible to get any contributions at this stage. Since we cannot get contributions and there is an overhead to make it available outside, we chose to release it after more maturity.  I know it is not an ideal but more of a practical choice.

It would be better if you just said "we wish to keep this part of gwt proprietary". Because what you are saying here, you could say that about any project; and it doesn't hold water. No one would force you to accept outside patches, it's a voluntary process.

Goktug Gokdogan

Oct 11, 2016, 10:14:39 PM10/11/16
to google-web-toolkit-contributors
I think you misinterpreted "overhead to make it available outside".

Kirill Prazdnikov

Oct 12, 2016, 7:21:29 PM10/12/16
to GWT Contributors
Alex, it took a few engineer-days for us to declare in JsInterop what we need from HTML API (in a really big project including DOM, events, WebGL, input, network).
There is no blocker of using it today, if u want of course.

"Official" Google public annotations is useful to make a "standard" or "baseline" for many public libraries that might be based on it.
And there is no point of asking Google to open it, it will be opened when they decide to do it. And it might never happen.
Again, there is no any stopper for using JsInterop for internal use.