Hide GWT Development Mode window

Paul Stockley

Aug 19, 2016, 2:56:24 PM8/19/16
to GWT Contributors
When launching the SDM code server, is it possible to hide the swing UI window?

David Becker

Aug 20, 2016, 3:04:04 PM8/20/16
to GWT Contributors
Yes, just run in headless mode by adding "-Djava.awt.headless=true" to your VM arguments. I do this all the time on mac.

Jens

Aug 21, 2016, 9:16:27 AM8/21/16
to GWT Contributors
You can also just launch CodeServer.main() unless you somehow need the embedded Jetty server launched by legacy DevMode class for your server side code (although IMHO its better to have CodeServer and Servlet container in two different processes so you can relaunch them separately). CodeServer does not have any Swing UI.

-- J.

Brandon Donnelson

Aug 21, 2016, 1:00:40 PM8/21/16
to GWT Contributors
Figured I'd addon. If you're familiar with the GWT Eclipse plugin, a fork of GPE there are launchers for both GWT and the CodeServer. Both of the GWT launcher types can run Super Dev Mode without a remote ui window and do so by default. The launchers just make launching the Java process with a preset arguments that run the remote ui in headless mode. If I remember correctly I think it's the -remoteUI argument that will cause the window to display. Having the service runs it without seeing it. If you're using IDEA, then a java launcher with the CodeServer could be used as well. Anyway, these are some other ways to running the service without seeing the RemoteUI.

-Brandon

Paul Stockley

Aug 25, 2016, 8:55:53 PM8/25/16
to GWT Contributors
Thanks, I just ran the code server. The main reason I did this is because Idea runs both the code server and Jetty Server together and passes the same class path to both. Our app has a lot of server dependencies and not too many client specific ones. By breaking them up I was able to tailor the class paths and dramatically speed up the code server. Plus now we can restart the jetty server and not be forced to reload the code server. Although this isn't as big a deal for us because we use JRebel.