GWT 2.8 rc1 work items

Daniel Kurka

Jun 8, 2016, 5:06:26 AM6/8/16
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

in the last steering committee meeting we agreed that making the next version of Guava work (which contains a lot of Java8 usage) was the goal for RC1.

We have gotten significantly closer to this now and I am happy to report that as of now we pass all of Guavas tests.
However there are a few work items left to do:

 - Make sure we actually run all of the java8 tests in the open source build
 - Go through the github issue tracker and look for things missing for the 2.8 milestone
 - Discuss the fate of the Jettty upgrades (Google was not able to garden these in yet, so the are not really verified).
 - Anything else I might have missed?

Do you guys have anything else to add to the list?

-Daniel

Jens

Jun 8, 2016, 6:04:02 AM6/8/16
to GWT Contributors
I think we should go through Gerrit and create a Github issue for every CL that we definitely want in final 2.8 (so we can track it using Github milestone, or is there some sort of tagging feature in Gerrit that we can use to mark CLs for 2.8?) and then concentrate on reviewing these.

Personally I would say:

- Emulation of ArrayDeque, BitSet
- Java 8: Collections.unmodifiableNavigableMap, unsigned numbers
- Various emulation fixes for edge cases and better JDK compatibility
- Anything related to JsInterop

Personally I work on Java8 Base64 emulation but don't know when I will finish it. Andrei has a draft on Gerrit for Java8 CompletableFuture which will be based on Promises/Promise emulation. But that one will probably still take some time to complete. Also this CompletableFuture patch includes some emulation of java concurrent classes that are currently emulated by Guava. IMHO we should generally include Guava JDK emulations into GWT proper so non Guava users can benefit from it as well. Maybe thats something we want to do for 2.8? Given the Guava license its just a matter of coping/moving their classes to GWT.

-- J.

Thomas Broyer

Jun 8, 2016, 9:55:36 AM6/8/16
to GWT Contributors

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 11:06:26 AM UTC+2, Daniel Kurka wrote:
Hi all,

in the last steering committee meeting we agreed that making the next version of Guava work (which contains a lot of Java8 usage) was the goal for RC1.

We have gotten significantly closer to this now and I am happy to report that as of now we pass all of Guavas tests.
However there are a few work items left to do:

 - Make sure we actually run all of the java8 tests in the open source build

I don't see 'java8' in http://build.gwtproject.org/job/gwt/519/testReport/ so I'd say they're not run. I think we should also run EmulSuite (et al.) and EmulJava8Suite in JRE, like you seem to be doing inside Google.
Also, apparently, this build uses OpenJDK 8, and gwt-java7 is disabled so we no longer build with Java 7 (building with Java7 reveals that https://gwt.googlesource.com/gwt/+/c8790cd86a11eababd5d5e211d4d3567671c54ff updated user/BUILD to exclude HashCodes.java but didn't update user/build.xml, so the build fails; also apicheck fails when run with Java 7 because it tries to compile super-sources using ECJ/JDT, and fails when encountering lambdas (cannot find java.lang.invoke.SerializedLambda))

Goktug Gokdogan

Jun 8, 2016, 5:01:07 PM6/8/16
to google-web-toolkit-contributors
My only issue is Guava emulates stuff like just like mocks but I guess we can go case by case basic for that.
I will talk to Chris Povirk who is maintaining those.

Konstantin Solomatov

Jun 11, 2016, 11:43:19 PM6/11/16
to GWT Contributors
That's such good news! Congratulations.

Thanks,
Kostya

Thomas Broyer

Jun 12, 2016, 2:27:59 PM6/12/16
to GWT Contributors

On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 11:06:26 AM UTC+2, Daniel Kurka wrote:
I'd like to include https://gwt-review.googlesource.com/15161 in RC1 so we have time to test it and possibly revert it or fix it before GA.

Daniel Kurka

Jun 13, 2016, 5:37:05 AM6/13/16
to GWT Contributors
I went through the issue tracker and curated the 2.8 mile stone.

Currently we have 22 open issues:

I assigned all unassigned issues and asked clarifying questions, please go through your assigned issues and respond to those questions.
If you feel that you have been wrongly assigned, please assign me back stating so. I'll try to make sure that the right person will start working on this.

As for volunteers (to speed up 2.8), please go through the list and see if you want to help (just because something is assigned does not mean its getting worked on right now). Come and ping me about work you want to do!

As for adding more work to the 2.8 milestone:
At this state we want to ship, so anything that is not a critical bug fix (or is very trivial) will probably not get included. For the work that Jens mentioned, I'd say if these reviews make it before we cut RC1 they can go in otherwise I will hold them until after we have shipped 2.8.0.
Also keep in mind that we need a green build before cutting RC1 in open source (and this only runs daily), so we should not be merging lots of patches at the last minute.

-Daniel

Thomas Broyer

Jun 13, 2016, 5:59:44 AM6/13/16
to GWT Contributors

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 11:37:05 AM UTC+2, Daniel Kurka wrote:
Also keep in mind that we need a green build before cutting RC1 in open source (and this only runs daily), so we should not be merging lots of patches at the last minute.

Maybe we could change it to run twice a day during that "sprint"?

Paul Stockley

Jul 7, 2016, 3:05:51 PM7/7/16
to GWT Contributors
Any idea when we can expect a RC1 build?