Google Code alternative

Jens

Apr 23, 2015, 3:41:59 PM4/23/15
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
In 4 month code.google.com will be read only and as time can pass by fast I think we might want to start discussing some alternatives.

Bug tracker:

1.) Install any reasonable bug tracking software on bugs.gwtproject.org. That software should have a good API so we can migrate issues easily and possibly integrate with Gerrit: assigned issue to next release version once a review is submitted, mark issue as fixed once the review is merged and reopen the issue if a git revert has been done. That would keep the bug tracker more up-to-date without manual work. Although not really needed but a nice side effect might be that the IDE can connect to the API to show issues in the IDE and possibly assign them to you if you want to work on some issues.

2.) Move issues to Github although I am not sure if that is possible if you only have a mirror project on Github. If its not possible with just a mirror, the hardcore solution would be to fully move to Github and use some Gerrit/Github integration. A nice side effect would be that we could allow pull requests which are then reviewed in Gerrit.

SVN tools project:

Get rid of it for future builds. We could upload libs on bintray and use ANT to download only the ones you need to build the current checkout of gwt. Might be a bit clunky for now but if GWT switches to a build system that understands maven repos we already have libs in place on bintray. If doing so we would probably have https://bintray.com/gwtproject/libs
In order to be able to build older GWT releases from source we still need a backup of the current SVN tools repo. As it will be a read only backup it is probably fine to just convert it to git and put it on googlesource.com

What do you guys think?

-- J.

Goktug Gokdogan

Apr 23, 2015, 5:17:53 PM4/23/15
to google-web-toolkit-contributors
At least on Google side we were assuming we will move to Github for issue tracking but I don't know if that came up in any steering committee discussions.

Thomas Broyer

Apr 23, 2015, 5:33:59 PM4/23/15

On Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 9:41:59 PM UTC+2, Jens wrote:
In 4 month code.google.com will be read only and as time can pass by fast I think we might want to start discussing some alternatives.

I missed the last 2 (or 3?) Steering Committee meetings, and the minutes have not been published (or I missed them too), so I don't know if the topic has been discussed; but I had proposed that we discussed it.

Bug tracker:

1.) Install any reasonable bug tracking software on bugs.gwtproject.org. That software should have a good API so we can migrate issues easily and possibly integrate with Gerrit: assigned issue to next release version once a review is submitted, mark issue as fixed once the review is merged and reopen the issue if a git revert has been done. That would keep the bug tracker more up-to-date without manual work. Although not really needed but a nice side effect might be that the IDE can connect to the API to show issues in the IDE and possibly assign them to you if you want to work on some issues.

While integration with Gerrit would be a plus, that can be done similarly to how we do it with Jenkins as long as the bugtracker has an API.

2.) Move issues to Github although I am not sure if that is possible if you only have a mirror project on Github. If its not possible with just a mirror, the hardcore solution would be to fully move to Github and use some Gerrit/Github integration. A nice side effect would be that we could allow pull requests which are then reviewed in Gerrit.

I'd propose we just move to GitHub: we already have an organization with a repo mirror there; we could just use gwtproject/gwt to track issues in addition to the repo mirror (and split website and "gwt proper" issues among the projects)
Of course there are also Lighthousapp.com and the likes (Atlassian JIRA?).
I don't think we want to host a bug tracker ourselves.

FWIW, Go has moved to GitHub with code hosted at googlesource.com, and Bazel is using a similar setup, so it's likely that we'll see better integration in the future. Chromium and Gerrit will have similar issues. Chromium is a bit special wrt Google Code Hosting <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/topic/chromium-dev/YwwkpYyyMzU/discussion> but Gerrit hasn't yet made the switch and I haven't see any discussion since the announce of Code Hosting shutting down <https://groups.google.com/d/topic/repo-discuss/CWXtpoNROGI/discussion>
I seem to recall another discussion on the Gerrit mailing list where Luca Milanesio was proposing installing his Gerrit+GitHub integration on googlesource.com.

SVN tools project:

Get rid of it for future builds. We could upload libs on bintray and use ANT to download only the ones you need to build the current checkout of gwt. Might be a bit clunky for now but if GWT switches to a build system that understands maven repos we already have libs in place on bintray. If doing so we would probably have https://bintray.com/gwtproject/libs
In order to be able to build older GWT releases from source we still need a backup of the current SVN tools repo. As it will be a read only backup it is probably fine to just convert it to git and put it on googlesource.com

…or just copied to Google Drive? or maybe just made available from the server that also host our Jenkins?
The folder is 409Mb currently, not that much.

There's also the downloads. We could upload them to either GitHub "releases", or Central, for archival; or anywhere else (Google Cloud Storage? this is what Gerrit uses for its downloads)
New releases should probably go right to Central, including the "SDK" (as a ZIP).

Jens

Jul 23, 2015, 5:21:30 AM7/23/15
to GWT Contributors, t.br...@gmail.com

SVN tools project:

Get rid of it for future builds. We could upload libs on bintray and use ANT to download only the ones you need to build the current checkout of gwt. Might be a bit clunky for now but if GWT switches to a build system that understands maven repos we already have libs in place on bintray. If doing so we would probably have https://bintray.com/gwtproject/libs
In order to be able to build older GWT releases from source we still need a backup of the current SVN tools repo. As it will be a read only backup it is probably fine to just convert it to git and put it on googlesource.com

…or just copied to Google Drive? or maybe just made available from the server that also host our Jenkins?
The folder is 409Mb currently, not that much.

A bit late but: Google Drive might not be a good choice because it is probably not compatible to the GIST: https://gist.github.com/rhmoller/7985bfdc2eac42598ee2

-- J.