GWT Eclipse Plugin (V3) Shortcuts/Launchers

Brandon Donnelson

Oct 5, 2016, 1:17:10 PM10/5/16
to GWT Contributors
What do you think of the labels for the GWT Eclipse Plugin (V3) Shortcuts and Launchers?

FYI... I'm on track to releasing the EA soon and aim to reach beta before GWTCon. GPE (and the gpe-fork) is planning to be deprecated in the 4th quarter.
Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 10.12.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 10.12.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 10.12.48 AM.png

Ignacio Baca Moreno-Torres

Oct 5, 2016, 5:22:44 PM10/5/16
to GWT Contributors
This is how I think that newbies will understand it easier... I suppose the change is too big, but maybe some part might be interesting. Any way current state is pretty good! good work. I have re-ordered, leaving the classic devmode the last one.
1. GWT Super DevMode - a client side GWT CodeServer (a.k.a. super devmode)
2. GWT Super DevMode and Jetty - a server side using Jetty and client side using GWT Script CodeServer (a.k.a. super devmode)
3. GWT Classic DevMode and Jetty - a server side using Jetty and client side using GWT Java CodeServer (a.k.a. classic devmode)

This might not be technically correct, but I think that the codeserver and super devmode is practically the same (at least codeserver is implicit in super devmode), and is confusing for users. Even better, if you change "Classic" to "Java" and "Super" to "Script" is even easier to understand, but I suppose is not a good idea because Super DevMode is everywhere.

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 7:17 PM Brandon Donnelson <branfl...@gmail.com> wrote:
What do you think of the labels for the GWT Eclipse Plugin (V3) Shortcuts and Launchers?

FYI... I'm on track to releasing the EA soon and aim to reach beta before GWTCon. GPE (and the gpe-fork) is planning to be deprecated in the 4th quarter.

Thomas Broyer

Oct 6, 2016, 3:33:57 AM10/6/16
to GWT Contributors
May I suggest "GWT Development Mode" and "GWT Legacy Development Mode"?
Maybe "GWT Development Mode with external server" and "GWT Development Mode with embedded server"?
IMO, making the distinction between "classic devmode" and "super devmode" was OK last year and before; but since 2.7 (released more than 1 year and a half ago already!) "sdm" is the default and it makes no sense to talk about "classic" devmode for something that's basically dead now (only supported in IE, where IE11 already supports source maps; and SDM works back to IE8, without sourcemaps then, but you can still use -style PRETTY in SDM in 2.8 –was the default in 2.7 IIRC– to get something readable).

It's 2016, we're about to release GWT 2.8, GWT 2.7 which brought SDM on by default was released in early 2015, I think it's time we call SDM simply "GWT Development Mode". You can stick a "(SDM)" in there if you want ("GWT Development Mode (SDM)") but I don't think it's even needed.
As for the "with Jetty", I don't think it's important that it's Jetty; it could be Tomcat or Undertow it wouldn't change much things. It's more important that it's an embedded server vs. and external server.
If you want to make it extra obvious that "with external server" is CodeServer and not just "DevMode with -noserver", then stick a "(CodeServer)" suffix: "GWT Development Mode with external server (CodeServer)".

WDYT?

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 11:22:44 PM UTC+2, Ignacio Baca Moreno-Torres wrote:
[...]

Brandon Donnelson

Oct 6, 2016, 11:04:47 AM10/6/16
to GWT Contributors
I don't have lots of control over order. I have control grouping them and then they sort alphabetically.

Legacy makes more sense now, you're right. I like it better than classic.

I like where you're going with external server and embedded server. That's something I've been trying to make a distinction with and makes sense. You're refinements look to have a better distinction.

I'll revise it some more and see if I can get closer.

Brandon Donnelson

Oct 6, 2016, 11:50:27 AM10/6/16
to GWT Contributors
I've made some adjustments. This time I put numbers on each label for referencing if needed. Do you think I should change it further?
Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 8.45.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 8.45.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 8.46.02 AM.png

Brandon Donnelson

Oct 6, 2016, 11:52:14 AM10/6/16
to GWT Contributors
s/Extenal/External/ done

Thomas Broyer

Oct 6, 2016, 12:07:32 PM10/6/16
to GWT Contributors
External "device"‽ Sounds strange to me (as a non-native English speaker at least)

Brandon Donnelson

Oct 6, 2016, 12:12:56 PM10/6/16
to GWT Contributors
Hm. Would s/Device/Mobile/ make more sense?

Brandon Donnelson
GXT Support Engineer
SenchaCon 2016 Aria Resort, Las Vegas, November 7-9
Join me at SenchaCon 2016!

Brandon Donnelson

Oct 6, 2016, 12:45:08 PM10/6/16
to GWT Contributors
Or would removing it be better?

Thomas Broyer

Oct 6, 2016, 12:56:22 PM10/6/16
to GWT Contributors
No. I don't get what DevMode vs CodeServer, or even -noserver or not, has to do with using a client on a remote machine.

Brandon Donnelson

Oct 6, 2016, 1:06:29 PM10/6/16
to GWT Contributors
Hm, I've been on a different page. I'm still having a problem divorcing super dev mode. :) I'm trying to disconnect from the old ways. :)

Brandon Donnelson

Oct 6, 2016, 1:43:26 PM10/6/16
to GWT Contributors
So I'm having a hard time reframing my mind around the changes, so I might need more tuning yet. :)

Here's what I have so far.

Thoughts?
Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 10.40.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 10.40.27 AM.png

Brandon Donnelson

Oct 7, 2016, 11:11:35 AM10/7/16
to GWT Contributors
If anybody has problems with the labels above please speak up. Otherwise EA is coming soon with what's above. I'll be starting to write docs with screenshots shortly.

Any thoughts on changing the GWT Settings labels?
Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 8.08.58 AM.png

Ignacio Baca Moreno-Torres

Oct 7, 2016, 12:29:06 PM10/7/16
to GWT Contributors
Something like this will be pretty self-explanatory:
Super Development Mode (debug in JavaScript, using SDBG or browser tools)
Legacy Development Mode (debug in Java, requires deprecated browser plugin)

Even better, each parenthesis has the next link respectively:

But as my other comment, this might be too verbose, right now is more compact and perfect for people that already know the difference between legacy and super.

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 5:11 PM Brandon Donnelson <branfl...@gmail.com> wrote:
If anybody has problems with the labels above please speak up. Otherwise EA is coming soon with what's above. I'll be starting to write docs with screenshots shortly.

Any thoughts on changing the GWT Settings labels?

Brandon Donnelson

Oct 7, 2016, 12:43:16 PM10/7/16
to GWT Contributors
I do like the specificity to that, in showing the difference. Although I'm sort of thinking the simplification to GWT Development Mode helps. Although now that I've thought about what Thomas has said, I like describing development as `Development Mode` without any special emphasis on super or not. Since Super is the default these days. Another note, whenever I'm on site with large GWT engineering teams, describing super or not didn't really help my story. Rather providing the specificity of what goes on muddys the development story. I feel like there are too many roads sometimes to get gethings launched.

Brandon Donnelson

Oct 7, 2016, 1:50:08 PM10/7/16
to GWT Contributors
I've started and revised the Getting started story to reflect what's going in GWT Eclipse Plugin (V3).