What is the status of J2CL?

Konstantin Solomatov

Nov 27, 2016, 10:03:03 PM11/27/16
to GWT Contributors
Hi,

I've heard about J2CL as a replacement of GWT Java->Js compiler. Are there any updates on it? Are there any chances that we will see it open sourced soon?

Thanks,
Konstnatin

Kirill Prazdnikov

Nov 28, 2016, 10:25:07 AM11/28/16
to GWT Contributors
It is interesting: does J2CL support JSNI or not.
Currently, @JsIndexer annotation does exist, so that it is impossible to work with js-arrays without JSNI.
There are possibilities for J2CL: to have @JsIndexer, to support JSNI, both, something else.

Konstantin, have you ever considered using Kotlin-js ?

Brandon Donnelson

Nov 28, 2016, 10:47:44 AM11/28/16
to GWT Contributors
No, JSNI will no longer be supported with J2CL, it won't be needed. That said, we are waiting on a core library with elemental to be released so that JSNI doesn't have to be used anymore, meaning you can work with arrays elements. It's a small lib.

Google is working on J2CL, they're close but more work is needed before the release. I can't speak to the timeline, but it sounded not to far off.

Goktug Gokdogan

Nov 28, 2016, 12:09:37 PM11/28/16
to google-web-toolkit-contributors
J2CL is not a replacement of GWT Java->Js compiler until it gets open-source and get decided by GWT steering as a viable replacement of the GWT compiler.

For arrays, you don't need something special. You can cast your javascript array to Object[] or a native jstype array  and use regular java array syntax.

Konstantin Solomatov

Jan 10, 2018, 5:48:44 PM1/10/18
to GWT Contributors
Are there any updates on J2CL? More than 1 years has passed since the initial message.

Thanks,
Kostya

Goktug Gokdogan

Jan 10, 2018, 9:14:24 PM1/10/18
to google-web-toolkit-contributors
We have preview version already released to a group of contributors/steering committee members who are playing with it and see how it will fit into GWT 3.0 plan (things like maven workflow for J2CL + JsCompiler).

In the meantime, we are working towards some open source usability improvements (fixing bazel rules and open sourcing more pieces) before giving access to wider audience.