Google Document Translator Tool

Harshad Patel

Feb 15, 2017, 4:13:55 AM2/15/17
to Google Cloud Translation API
Hi Team,

Hope you are doing good.

We are in search of a software / online service which can be used to translate different document formats using paid Google Machine Translation API. Is there any tool \ online service similar to our requirement is available from Google or Google authorized developer?

We have found one tool "Google Document Translator" which has option to enable paid Google Machine Translate API to translate document. Can you please confirm if this tool is not accessing free Google translation and only using paid Google translate API route only to translate document.

Please let us know if any further information required in this regard.

Thanks & Regards,

Harshad Patel
Process Expert – Translations

S&P Global Market Intelligence
Acropolis Mall, Sarkhej - Gandhinagar Highway, Thaltej
Ahmedabad, GJ 380054
T: 1-434-529-1441 | C: +91 990 4867 123
www.spglobal.com

Harshad Patel

Feb 15, 2017, 4:27:31 AM2/15/17
to Google Cloud Translation API
Google Document Translator details are available on following link.

Nicholas (Google Cloud Support)

Feb 16, 2017, 3:09:05 PM2/16/17
to Google Cloud Translation API
Hey Harshad!

Could you share some more details about what you are looking to translate exactly and what you expect the translation to look like?
  • What kind of documents do you need translated (PDFs, DOC, TXT, etc.)?
  • Do you need the service to also perform the OCR or will your service do the character recognition and provide plain text to the translation service?
  • Do you require the output to be a specific format (file, stream, etc.) or will your service accept plain text/JSON translations?
Knowing more about your specific requirements may help recommend more appropriate tools/services.  DocTranslator, for instance offers file input/output with content translated through the Google Translation API.

Regarding the Google Document Translator you linked, this application seems a little dated with little activity in the code base.  Also note that this is not an official Google tool:
Google Document Translator is not a product from Google. Neither it is endorsed nor it is supported by Google. This is a free and open source product, distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Nicholas

Nicholas (Google Cloud Support)

Feb 16, 2017, 3:12:34 PM2/16/17
to Google Cloud Translation API
Note also that the Vision API can detect text performing OCR when provided with legible images.  This may be a service that meets one of part of needs as well.

Harshad Patel

Feb 17, 2017, 3:36:38 AM2/17/17
to Google Cloud Translation API
Hi Nicholas,

Please find my comments below to your questions.
  • What kind of documents do you need translated (PDFs, DOC, TXT, etc.)?
          All MS Office format, HTML, PDF & TXT document translation support is required

  • Do you need the service to also perform the OCR or will your service do the character recognition and provide plain text to the translation service?
          We provide input document after performing OCR only.
  • Do you require the output to be a specific format (file, stream, etc.) or will your service accept plain text/JSON translations?
          We require output in same format as of input file.

We need a tool / online service, which can allow us to enable our paid Google translate API key and then use the same to translate documents.

Please let me know if any further information required in this regard.

Nicholas (Google Cloud Support)

Feb 20, 2017, 1:20:39 PM2/20/17
to Google Cloud Translation API
The DocTranslator service I linked previously shows the following supported documents for input and output:
  • .doc, .docx
  • .ppt, .pptx,
  • .xls, .xlsx
  • .odt, .ods, .odp
  • .pdf
  • .srt, .txt
This seems to meet the criteria you've provided.

tongli...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2017, 9:09:51 AM2/27/17
to Google Cloud Translation API
Hi   Harshad,

Would you try this?

Drag-and-drop up to 5 documents at once (less than 20MB each), get your translations in 15 to 45 seconds*
Perfectly preserve source files’ formatting and typesetting
Easily present your translations in sentence-by-sentence or paragraph-by-paragraph layouts
Capable of handling complex documents such as scanned PDFs and picture formats
Support 27 widely-used languages, including Chinese, Spanish, English, Arabic, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, German, Korean, French and Italian

let me know for any questions.