Seeking Help To Prepare Myself Of Next Year GSOC

Aakash Dabas

Oct 5, 2015, 2:07:16 PM10/5/15
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi every one,
I'm Aakash Dabas. Currently I'm a student of Delhi Technological University(Formerly known as DCE, INDIA). I'm in second year.
I've done some research on this program and noticed that this program is to encourage the OSSD among the students. I also wish to start with some open source project. But I'm newbie to it. So I need help where to start with. I have nice knowledge of C++ and C and have done few projects in my past life(Please visit my site to see'em : http://www.entangler.in/projects.html). I'll be really thankful to you, if you help me.
Thanking You
Aakash Dabas

Carol Smith

Oct 5, 2015, 2:09:57 PM10/5/15
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi there,

The best place you can start is by reading the GSoC student manual: https://flossmanuals.net/GSoCStudentGuide/

It is written by students and for students and is specifically designed for folks like you who want to understand how the program works.

Once you've read and understood the student manual my next suggestion would be to approach the open source organization you are interested in volunteering with and ask for their help in how to start contributing. Every community is different and so they'll be able to help you with the specifics of how to get started.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Carol

Aakash Dabas

Oct 5, 2015, 2:24:15 PM10/5/15
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Thanks for helping me. I've read this before but still its like I feel a little nervous. Like a chicken in the shell. I want to come out in the world of OSS. Can please name a few so that I can start my journey with. At least some sources to refer. And once again thanks a lot to help me.
Aakash Dabas

Carol Smith

Oct 5, 2015, 2:26:37 PM10/5/15

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Aakash Dabas <entang...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for helping me. I've read this before but still its like I feel a little nervous. Like a chicken in the shell. I want to come out in the world of OSS. Can please name a few so that I can start my journey with. At least some sources to refer. And once again thanks a lot to help me.
Aakash Dabas

At some point you just have to have some courage and reach out to the community :-) They are by and large very nice people who are looking to help new contributors, but they also very much value self-starters.

Cheers,
Carol

Joel Sherrill

Oct 5, 2015, 2:32:03 PM10/5/15
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
+1

You should also look through the open source organizations that participated in 2015
to see which might interest you. Then just start getting involved with those organizations.
This list shows the projects for 2015 and can be filtered based on keywords.

--joel sherrill
RTEMS

Aakash Dabas

Oct 5, 2015, 2:46:03 PM10/5/15
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
First of all thank you guys for your efforts.
I've great interest in Open Computer Vision project. I've got some past experience with opencv. All the projects they have listed in GSOC 2015 seems feasible to be me but at the same time challenging, So how should I proceed with it, I have found few sources:

Also how will I be able to make contact with them.
Thanking You
Aakash Dabas

Carol Smith

Oct 5, 2015, 2:48:07 PM10/5/15
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi there,

The contact information for every org that participated in GSoC 2015 is listed on their respective homepages on Melange. So for OpenCV, you can find that here: https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2015/opencv

Thanks,
Carol

Aakash Dabas

Oct 5, 2015, 2:58:16 PM10/5/15
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
You've helped me a lot and boosted up my moral. Now I know what should I do. I'll seek your help again in future if needed,
Thank You
Aakash Dabas

Gary Bradski

Nov 3, 2015, 6:59:58 PM11/3/15
to entang...@gmail.com, google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Aakash

I just noticed this (and for others).

GSoC contributions often start in git opencv_contrib *
  • Many people are still trying to join our 2015 GSoC list, but summer ("S" in GSoC) is done:
  • Note the timeline for GSoC 2016
  • We will submit OpenCV to participate (but acceptance is up to Google!)
  • We will put up a list with our info probably in January, see our past Ideas page(s) here.
    • We will post project ideas, you are welcome to submit your own.
Gary

* We fail any project that does not produce an accepted pull request, so almost all funded projects end up producing working, documented, code.