Vacation abroad allowed during program?

Emily Chen

Mar 30, 2015, 6:11:34 PM3/30/15
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am authorized to work in the US but not in Europe. Would I be allowed to take a 2 week vacation in Europe between the GSOC start and end dates? If I did travel to another country for a two week period during GSOC, would I be allowed to commit code for the project, from abroad?

Thanks for advising,
Emily

Carol Smith

Mar 30, 2015, 6:14:25 PM3/30/15
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi there,

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Emily Chen <emch...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I am authorized to work in the US but not in Europe. Would I be allowed to take a 2 week vacation in Europe between the GSOC start and end dates?

Are you allowed according to the rules of the program? Yes. But your mentoring organization will most likely have an opinion about this. You should speak to them directly about if it's okay with them for you to take two weeks out of a three-month project.

If I did travel to another country for a two week period during GSOC, would I be allowed to commit code for the project, from abroad?

That's something you should ask after you're accepted into the program and may depend on the countries you're traveling to, and may depend on the advice of a student advisor, so please contact me off list about it then.

Cheers,
Carol