Confusion related to workload

Harshit Saini

Dec 24, 2016, 10:08:39 AM12/24/16
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi,
My name is Harshit Saini,
I am a 3rd year B tech student at JUIT,solan.
I have some queries related to the contribution being made towards the organisation.

1.)Do I have to start contribution for the concerned organisation before the mentoring organisations are declared by the GSOC'2017 committee or after the same.
2.) Shall I contact or introduce myself to the concerned organisation before the mentoring organisations are declared by the GSOC'2017 committee or after the same.
3.) Is it necessary or a compulsion to start a project under an organisation or not as an individual.

Looking forward to apply for Gsoc'17.
Your's truly,
Harshit

Stephanie Taylor

Dec 28, 2016, 8:59:06 PM12/28/16
to Google Summer of Code
Hello Harshit,

I have some queries related to the contribution being made towards the organisation.

1.)Do I have to start contribution for the concerned organisation before the mentoring organisations are declared by the GSOC'2017 committee or after the same.

No, you do not need to contribute before the organizations are announced. You can go ahead and look at the organizations that were accepted in 2016 and look through that list to get an idea for the type of work that you might be interested in. Then when the organizations are announced on February 27th you should reach out to the organizations that appeal to you.

2.) Shall I contact or introduce myself to the concerned organisation before the mentoring organisations are declared by the GSOC'2017 committee or after the same.

You definitely can but there is no way to know exactly which organizations will be accepted until organizations are announced on January 27th.

3.) Is it necessary or a compulsion to start a project under an organisation or not as an individual.

You contribute to a specific organization as an individual. You have to work on a project with one of the accepted GSoC 2017 organizations if you wish to be a part of the program.

Best,
Stephanie