Presence within United States

Mike Choi

May 10, 2018, 9:47:47 AM5/10/18
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
I'm sure you guys are tired about hearing questions regarding tax forms but I think my case may be slightly special.

I am an international student currently studying in the US.
The funny thing is that I will be present in the states for a week after the coding period starts.

And the GSoC guideline emails have been stating that

... in the US on a visa, or physically present in the US during the GSoC coding period, you must submit a United States tax form to receive your stipend.

So I guess my question is, does staying in the states only for a week count for "physically present in the US during the GSoC coding period?

Platonides

May 10, 2018, 5:14:39 PM5/10/18
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mike

That text seems pretty clear to me. Also note that if you expect to
code during that week, you may need to ensure you are there with a
VISA that allows you to work (NB: I am no tax adviser, verify
independently). At which point, it could be easier for you not to do
any GSoC work during that week in order to sidestep that (coordinate
with your org any changes to the coding schedule you may had defined,
of course).

Cheers

Murad

May 15, 2018, 2:21:17 PM5/15/18

On Thu, May 10, 2018, 7:17 PM Mike Choi <mkch...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm sure you guys are tired about hearing questions regarding tax forms but I think my case may be slightly special.

I am an international student currently studying in the US.
The funny thing is that I will be present in the states for a week after the coding period starts.
The program starts with the beginning of the community bonding period. Your stay in USA during this time should also be a concern for you.