How to prepare for the next GSoc

soumyadee...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2017, 12:18:52 PM9/20/17
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
I would like to know how would ideally prepare for participating in GSoc. I do understand that having a hand on experience in contributing to open source projects will definitely help a lot. But before I even start contributing,how would I know if I have enough fair workable amount of knowledge to start. Is knowledge up to the level of object orientation enough?? Do I need to know about very advanced data structures and algorithms to be able to write the code for the project?? Do I need to know about design patterns??
Please tell me all these as I don't know personally anyone who could able to guide me and I would be very grateful to anyone who'd let me know clearly in terms of how much knowledge of computer science I should have ,and in addition to that.what're the skills do I need.

Many thanks & looking forward to get your awesome suggestions :)

Medha Ch

Sep 20, 2017, 2:58:59 PM9/20/17
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Soumya,

Every organisation has different projects and each project uses different technology stack and pattern of code. Get a github account and start forking the projects you're interested in. Try running them locally and understand how each module was implemented. Once thats done, you can start contributing to the project by marking new issues, or working on existing ones. If you ask me, learning by doing helps a lot when it comes to OpenSource projects. But make sure you contribute your code with proper coding standards.
I have recently written an article on When, Why and How to apply for GSoC. I hope it helps, and good luck!

Best Regards,
Medha Chakravarthula

Jeanderson

Sep 20, 2017, 3:00:37 PM9/20/17
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
"how would I know if I have enough fair workable amount of knowledge to start."
If you are able to close issues from the open source community you have interest, you are clearly in good shape.

There's no definitive answer for this question.
Every project has something particular that you are expected to be familiar.
The definitive indicator, in my honest opinion, is if you understand the issues and if you are able to fix at least some of them.

Your ability of closing issues speaks much louder than anything else, in my opnion.
Good luck.

Regards,
Jeanderson Candido

Graduate student in Computer Science
Federal University of Pernambuco - Brazil