Need help to understand better.

Dhiraj kumar

Sep 24, 2017, 4:29:38 PM9/24/17
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
I am a first year student in BTech CSE, very new to this feild,could you help me out figure how this platform works for a student?I mean what skills are required to be a part of this society.
Will it be beneficial for me as a beginner? I have worked on BlueJ and C only right now.
Could you please be kind and help me figure out things.

Arunika Yadav

Sep 25, 2017, 12:34:32 AM9/25/17
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Okay,But I cannot understand your reference for help.Kindly be elaborate!

Dhiraj kumar

Sep 25, 2017, 2:02:58 AM9/25/17
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
How is this platform helpful for beginners?
How does this, 'GSoC' work?
How to take part in different projects?

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 10:47 PM, Dhiraj kumar <dhiraj7...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am a first year student in BTech CSE, very new to this feild,could you help me out figure how this platform works for a student?I mean what skills are required to be a part of this society.
Will it be beneficial for me as a beginner? I have worked on BlueJ and C only right now.
Could you please be kind and help me figure out things.

Alexander Pico

Sep 25, 2017, 8:45:01 PM9/25/17
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dhiraj,

 - Alex

Dhiraj kumar

Sep 29, 2017, 1:59:35 AM9/29/17
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
I saw the layout for the proposal, but could please share a SAMPLE PROPOSAL for better understanding?

Alexander Pico

Sep 29, 2017, 3:15:55 PM9/29/17
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Sample applications are actually included in the link I sent… but I would recommend working with particular organizations first. Each will have their own requirements and expectations; and some will have example of what they consider to be successful proposals.

There is not one generic form for all organizations. A successful proposal is driven by communication with the particular project mentors you’re applying to.

GSoC requires a bit more resourcefulness than typical coursework or perhaps other student programs. You’ll want to start to think and participate as a member of an open source community, rather than as a student or applicant.

 - Alex

Jeanderson

Sep 30, 2017, 12:31:09 AM9/30/17
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
First things first: I think you should be getting in touch with an open source community.
Honestly, I think that a proposal has no value if you can't demonstrate that you understand how the project works or how to test it.
It is very unlikely to have a strong application without demonstrating technical skill to a desired community (i.e., the one you are willing to apply).

Regardless of being accepted on GSoC, you should get a hands-on in an open source project simply because it's an awesome experience :-)

In summary: you shouldn't be bothering about understanding how to write a proposal. Instead, try to fix some easy issues from a project that you have interest :-) The "proposal step" comes naturally once you get your "hands dirty" in the code ;-)

Regards,
Jeanderson Candido

Graduate student in Computer Science
Federal University of Pernambuco - Brazil