Unresponsive mentors

Manos Stergiadis

May 7, 2018, 10:01:13 AM5/7/18
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
The community bonding period is almost over but me and the other two fellow students accepted in our project have not heard from the mentors. While I am fine with working without supervision, there are some pieces of information that I would need at minimum to effectively do my job, such as:

1) The are multiple mirrors of the project's repository. Which fork and branch will our work be based on?
2) Three students were accepted for this project and our proposals contain overlapping, but also unique parts. Will each of us independently work according to his own proposal, or will we cooperate? If the latter is true, how will the tasks be distributed?

Given that me and other students have repeatedly sent emails to all mentors requesting a meeting, and these have remained unanswered up to this day, how should we proceed?

Joel Sherrill

May 7, 2018, 10:15:18 AM5/7/18
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
I have no idea what organization you are working with but mentors and students sometimes take time off.

Have you gotten in touch with organization through their main communication channels. That might be mail lists, IRC, etc. My project requests that all student technical communication be in public forums. This not only creates a public record for future, but it lets other project contributors provide input to your project.

I would expect that someone from the organization should be stepping up with guidance. Especially on something so basic as the proper repository to use.

--joel
REMS

Lakhan Shiva

May 7, 2018, 11:20:52 AM5/7/18
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
If i were you I would get in touch with Summer of Code Organization Admins for that particular organization, in case of the mentors being unresponsive.

I would also ask more questions on the IRC channel, and try to get in touch with any previous GSoC students in the organization. Have you tried reaching the SoC Org Admins and let them know that you have not been contacted by the mentor / there is any technical difficulty in starting the project. Check for any wiki's available for the project. They may/may not be present in your case.

As a last step, if the Org Admins are not responding, you should try contacting the Program Administrators.
Please see.. https://google.github.io/gsocguides/student/how-gsoc-works.html

Manos Stergiadis

Lakshay arora

Christopher Sean Morrison