Student's Selection Criteria

ANKIT KUMAR

Apr 4, 2017, 11:43:00 AM4/4/17
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi,
    I talked about this with my friends who successfully completed their GSoC projects. They said if you can submit PR after proposal deadline(and, prior to Announcement of Students), it will be considered by the respective organization. But on asking the same question to the mentor, he said "we cannot take into account anything that happens after deadline" and the irony is that organization clearly says, "After you've filed the proposal, you might receive a reply from a mentor with a test assignment. It will be a small task that will allow you to prove your abilities in C/C++ and setting up a development environment".
    Can anyone please tell if I can submit PR will it be considered by the organization?

Kind regards,

Stephanie Taylor

Apr 4, 2017, 1:04:55 PM4/4/17
to Google Summer of Code
Hello,

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 3:23 AM, ANKIT KUMAR <ak02...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
    I talked about this with my friends who successfully completed their GSoC projects. They said if you can submit PR after proposal deadline(and, prior to Announcement of Students), it will be considered by the respective organization.

No, your friend is wrong. If you did not submit your proposal and your proof of enrollment before the deadline yesterday on the actual GSoC site then you are not eligible to be considered for GSoC.

But on asking the same question to the mentor, he said "we cannot take into account anything that happens after deadline" and the irony is that organization clearly says, "After you've filed the proposal, you might receive a reply from a mentor with a test assignment. It will be a small task that will allow you to prove your abilities in C/C++ and setting up a development environment".

Yes, the mentor is correct. What the orgs statement means is if you filed the proposal before the deadline (usually in the first week of the application period) then there is time to give you a test assignment. If you missed the deadline or even if you submitted the proposal in the final few days the org likely doesn't have time to give you a test assignment.

This is a valuable lesson in not procrastinating. Those students who submitted their proposals early to the organizations has time to get feedback from the orgs and thus have a better chance of being selected because they actually spent time talking to the orgs to figure out what they were looking for in the project (and to see if the fit was good between the student and the project).

    Can anyone please tell if I can submit PR will it be considered by the organization?

Not after the deadline.

Best,
Stephanie

Kind regards,

Gaurav Dhingra

Apr 5, 2017, 1:42:11 AM4/5/17
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi,
    By PR you mean pull request? If so, then it depends from organisation to organisation. Consider that my organisation says you submit the patch requirement before the deadline and it is not necessary for that pull request be merged into the project, but can be done so later.

Unless I am totally misunderstanding your question, I hope you have submitted your proposal + proof of enrollment to google before deadline.

--

Gaurav Dhingra