Start open Source coding

Nadee

Oct 21, 2016, 12:17:58 PM10/21/16
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
I want to learn  Open source.
Can I know what are the best way to learn open source.
Currently I reading the book which is mentioned by GSOC mannual.

Christopher Sean Morrison

Oct 21, 2016, 1:37:11 PM10/21/16
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 11:59 AM, Nadee <nadeeshanij...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I want to learn Open source.

Great!

> Can I know what are the best way to learn open source.

There’s no single best way. There are many possibilities, all with merits and considerations.

> Currently I reading the book which is mentioned by GSOC mannual.

Reading can certainly be a great way to learn. Doing and gaining experience is also helpful. I generally suggest you find an open source project that interests you and start helping. The possibilities on how to help are endless.

Cheers!
Sean

Felipe Sanches

Oct 21, 2016, 4:17:55 PM10/21/16
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure that there are many ways to get involved in a free software community. I can tell you a bit about how I got involved in it, in the hope it might inspire you. In my case, I wanted to learn more about software development and some friends told me that software freedom projects are equivalent to a giant corpus of programming knowledge publicly available for anyone to study and that by getting involved with it I would have plenty of opportunities to further improve my coding skills.

NOTE: A bit later I figured out that it is also great for other important reasons. For instance, the social issues that the software freedom movement addresses as you can read about at: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/

So I installed a free GNU/Linux distribution and started reading everything about all of the tools in it that I was not really used to at that time. I tried to contribute code patches to a few projects but got my contributions rejected at first. But by persisting, I ended up finding a project that would accept my patches. So, that's what made me an Inkscape developer.

I have contributed voluntarily to Inkscape since 2007 and I did so during a few years, which included my participation as a student in a couple of Summer of Code editions and later I did participate once as a mentor as well.

Then I started to work professionally with typography-related free software development and I did so for a few years. Nowadays all my personal income comes from software-freedom related activities.

I suggest you start using a free (as in freedom) program that is truly useful for you and then if you find anything annoying about it - maybe a bug or perhaps some feature that it lacks but that you really would like to see implemented - you can try to read the project source code to try figuring out exactly where the code would have to be edited in order to fix the issue (or to implement the new feature). If you have a hard time doing so, you can join the project mailing list or chat channel and talk to the core developers, telling them about the things you'd like to work on. They may offer you some more specific help. You could also use the project bug tracker to do so.

I hope this helps!
Happy Hacking,
Felipe Sanches