Slot Allocation to organization

Kakul Chandra

Apr 15, 2015, 3:23:23 PM4/15/15
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

I applied in GSoC 2015 in one of the umbrella organizations. But shockingly despite of the organization's popularity and share of applications received, only 3 slots have been allocated to the organization. What could be a possible reason? Getting only 3 out around 200 proposals accepted is somewhat quite discouraging. Even the mentors are a lot troubled regarding who to reject as there are many dedicated students who put in a lot of effort. Can anything be done regarding this?

Thanks

Kakul Chandra

Michael Downey

Apr 15, 2015, 4:02:46 PM4/15/15
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com

This is an issue for the organization administrator(s) to work on; students don't really have a role in slot allocation. There are ways for orgs to request additional slots if available and if desired.

Michael

Carol Smith

Apr 15, 2015, 4:28:42 PM4/15/15
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi there,

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Kakul Chandra <kakulch...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello.

I applied in GSoC 2015 in one of the umbrella organizations. But shockingly despite of the organization's popularity and share of applications received, only 3 slots have been allocated to the organization. What could be a possible reason?

There are many possible reasons, most of them are outlined on our Notes on Student Allocations document that describes our allocation process.

Getting only 3 out around 200 proposals accepted is somewhat quite discouraging. Even the mentors are a lot troubled regarding who to reject as there are many dedicated students who put in a lot of effort. Can anything be done regarding this?

Sure, the org admins have been given instructions on this, they're welcome to contact me directly with the information from my emails on this topic to them.

Cheers,
Carol

Kakul Chandra

Apr 15, 2015, 4:34:40 PM4/15/15
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your kind reply Michael and Carol.

I hope our organization gets more slots as 3/200 applications is quite a small number considering the fact that the organization is popular and has applied as an umbrella organization. Students have put in lot of effort and there has stiff competition among students in every division of the organization.

Thanks

Kakul